MySpace, Facebook losing popularity......

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Mar 4, 2008.

1. S2007S

S2007S

hydro is right when he says what he says about facebook, unless you have some feelings for facebook you have to admit its nothing more than a website where people post pictures and comments to one another. There is really no revenue stream...

#41     Mar 20, 2008
  2. Spot on. Way overpriced. All hype. Too many of them. HUGE privacy and misuse issues. When this is over it will turn out that nobody ever got a good job by having a social website profile. If there's any real lasting money in the whole industry it's probably confined to the sex angle and even there it's probably a house of cards because nobody will pay to do it.

I remember sitting next to two pimple face children at a CMGI shareholder meeting when the company was in a lock with Dell as the best performing stock of the 90s. CMGI was up maybe 10-12,000% and the stock it owned in other companies was worth maybe 11B. The CEO introduces these two grubs to us, asks them to stand up, and tells us how they just turned down a 200M offer for the Raging Bull stock message board.

Anyone remember Raging Bull? :p

#42     Mar 21, 2008
  3. facebook is awesome i love facebook

#43     Mar 21, 2008
  4. Crikey, these old farts have no idea what they are talking about, much less have any proof of any claims they make other than a news story out of GR. I'm out!

TTYL,
    drumbandit

#44     Mar 21, 2008
  5. AK100

AK100

You've got to remember that web 2.0 was invented by Americans.

And almost EVERYTHING they do has a lowest common demoninator of sales/money/profit etc (it's in their DNA).

Web 2.0 is therefore more selling substance than real substance and it will be the same with web 3.0 which will be upon us in 2009/10.

After all something 'new' has to be invented to keep the sales process going.......

PS. Think how many billions of revenue has been already made off Web 2.0, all the seminars, ebooks, new sites developed, trade shows, SEO services, widget design and so on and so on. See what I mean about it really being nothing more than a marketing/sales tool.

#45     Mar 21, 2008
  6. Security Lapse Exposes Facebook Photos
    Tuesday March 25, 7:04 am ET
    By Michael Liedtke, AP Business Writer
    Security Lapse Exposes Personal Facebook Pictures to Unwelcome Strangers

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A security lapse made it possible for unwelcome strangers to peruse personal photos posted on Facebook Inc.'s popular online hangout, circumventing a recent upgrade to the Web site's privacy controls.

#46     Mar 25, 2008
  7. The Americans who invented Web 2.0 are emracing the capitalist tradition. would it be safe to say you are not american, even anti-american? And that you don't understand the capitalist system, possibly from a former Satellite. The role of capitalists is to develop products/services that address needs of the consumer base, and as marketing and democracy go hand in hand, consumers vote on which products around.

The concept of a baker was around before america, agreed? Well, i may be wrong, but bakers probably started baking bread because
    a) people were hungry
    b) flour was readily available
    c) the baker wasn't skilled at laying bricks

There was a profit motive, aghast. What were they creating there, an economy.

Thats where currency comes into play, dollars not drachmas. Your rudimentary understanding of economics may or may not interfere with your trading, but the noise you create pollutes the air.

Stop writing, start reading.

By the way, I am a proud American, and everybody hates number one. It is not an ideal system, but still better than alternatives. By the way bashing the United States is cliche, where are you from? Lets put your national politics and character under the microscope.

#47     Mar 25, 2008
  8. AK100

AK100

To quote a well known american phrase -

"whatever"

PS. If you're such a proud american then even on message boards you should use a capital A as in America and not america.

PPS. See how brainwashed the majority of US society now is: good = $, bad = no-$.

#48     Mar 25, 2008
  9. Hey Ivan. You are on a trading site if you didnt know it. One of the most capitalistic endeavors a person can undertake.

More dollars is what we strive for. Not waiting in line for soviet issued toilet paper.

#49     Mar 25, 2008
  10. I doubt it as it was a weekday and way too early but it wouldn't change what I said. You know it's true, well maybe you don't cause you don't understand women yet, but I would figure that being a guy, you know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to the male perspective of Myspace/Facebook.

Once you realize that all these ideas really stem from the days of AOL & Prodigy, you will understand that it's not that original and there is not anything there so special or proprietary.

The next wave will be taking that model and transitioning it to a mobile phone. You will have roaming profiles. Imagine sitting on the train and having a profile list of a bunch of the people there. It's like being "Wired In" but permanently.

#50     Mar 25, 2008