My typing mistake or IB problem ?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by kpham_elite, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

The first line of the audit trail shows you how many contracts the order was submitted for (700).

The statement shows how it was executed (3 partials at 3 different venues).

If you go to Global Configuration >> Order >> Order Defaults, you can set-up size and price limits in order to prevent mistypes.

#11     Oct 23, 2006
  2. try buttontrader...excellent order entry platform and will help reduced botched entries...

#12     Oct 24, 2006
  3. Thank you all for your suggestions. I emailed IB yesterday and they sent me an audit log which they said it was my mistake, not theirs. I am trying to go over it. Sad to say, so far it seems to be at my end. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks again.:mad:

#13     Oct 24, 2006
  4. kpham, it happens to all of us. I fudged an entry to inet recently, a dollar above current market. No external lvl 2 price discovery when that happens (which I find surprising since this occured long after they were integrated into supermontage). It was all filled just on their book well away from the market. Wasn't 10% off so not much I can do. At least my broker doesn't charge me the .003/sh fee for removing liquidity, that would just be salt on the wounds..

#14     Oct 24, 2006
  5. tef8

tef8

fwiw i've been using visiontrader for stocks i scalp on a regular basis - it works great and is free. it'll set the limit target and trailing stop, etc at the instant the order is placed - it's faster than i am for sure.

medved qoutetracker for other order entries/exits (unless hidden orders are desired, of course)

a peculiar thing i've noticed lately on the stand alone tws is when i click on a line to sell the security the stock above it pops up as a sale! (i have it configured to instantly transmit the order with a combination of hotkeys). extremely inconvienient and expensive to say the least, hence my use of other order entry methods.

#15     Oct 24, 2006
  6. cscott

cscott

I had a similar situation happend with IB a few months ago on a futures trade, QU. It was losing and I couldn't close it out. When I tried to close it out, it created another order, and then I had to close that one out. I communicated to IB about it through email, phone, and their new ticket system. They told me they were not responsible and would not reimburse me. After numerous emails, phone calls, and tickets, I gave up. This cost me over $3K. I still do not believe that it was my fault such as a typing mistake. The reason I think this is because TWS is buggy and prone to mistakes. I still have orders pop up on market lines above and below the order line that I click on, orders execute that I never clicked on, etc.

I would be interested to hear your followup. Very sorry about your loss, and Good Luck!

#16     Oct 26, 2006
  7. 3rdbase

3rdbase

cscott, upon reading your many posts I'm certain the error was yours. Isn't it funny that the same people seem to post that TWS is buggy and has order entry problems while the vast majority do not? The probabilities don't add up.

#17     Oct 26, 2006
  8. cscott

cscott

HAHA. How can you be certain? Anyhow, you have your opinion, and I've stated mine about this matter.

JFYI, it is arrogant and ignorant to think that just because you or others have not encountered a certain problem (such as a specific problem with TWS), that the problem does not exist. People trade differently, trading different instruments, use different TWS features, trade at different times, etc.

#18     Oct 26, 2006
  9. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

It's not arrogant, it's rational. And is a proper step in troubleshooting. What's arrogant and ignorant is to state as matter of fact that TWS is buggy and error ridden. Sure, it might be to you, but it's obviously not for the majority.

Think about that.

#19     Oct 26, 2006
  10. D,

You should be thanking Cscott. Each time he succeeds in his one man mission to dissuade newbies from using IB that means that they don't have to hand hold someone like cscott. That means more service for the rest of us.

Win-win; How good does it get? :)

#20     Oct 26, 2006