My TV set became my boss, dictating to me, connected to the whole economy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by update, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Bob111

Bob111

i agree, it's wrong..but for 2002 it isn't a best shit..best shit back then is plasma..but.. the cost was like x2 more than DLP. and i'm sure you know about average bulb life when you bought it. it's a part of the deal.that's why the price of DLP is much lower than plasma for example. can car run 40-50K without oil change? sure..but why there is a certain service intervals?

#11     Jun 24, 2009
  2. this is the "broken window" approach to job creation.

#12     Jun 24, 2009
  3. update

update

not everyone was stupid enough to drop 10 k on plasma and have it dim to crap in 5 years

do research before you buy, anyway this isn't the topic anyway

#13     Jun 24, 2009
  4. watching 17,000 hrs TV 8 hrs/day for 7 years gives 300 days of TV per year. so basically it is a full time job when you have 2 day weekend off (but no vacation time).

IMHO this much TV makes one very slow at anticipating obvious things (e.g. company trying to screw you over a bulb 7 years down the road)

#14     Jun 25, 2009
  5. This started back 50 years ago in the auto industry.

#15     Jun 25, 2009
  6. update

update

trader's life is not something you can understand

tv runs in background all day,

you are the one to tell me what it right

fuck you

#16     Jun 25, 2009
  7. Bob111

Bob111

3k i paid.. and it's working fine, just like new

#17     Jun 25, 2009
  8. had to search for this thread and found it in chit-chat. where is the freedom of speech?

#18     Jun 25, 2009
  9. This isn't a Korean, or Japanese, or Asian, or atheist phenomonea. It pretty much originated in England as one "solution" to the Great Depression. It is now common practice in many industries.

It's called "planned" or "functional" obsolescene" - depending on the goal of the producer.

From wiki:

[edit] Origins of the term
    Origins of planned obsolescence go back at least as far as 1932 with Bernard London's pamphlet Ending the Depression Through Planned Obsolescence.[2] However, the phrase was first popularized in 1954 by Brooks Stevens, an American industrial designer. Stevens was due to give a talk at an advertising conference in Minneapolis in 1954. Without giving it much thought, he used the term as the title of his talk.[3]

From that point on, "planned obsolescence" became Stevens' catchphrase. By his definition, planned obsolescence was "Instilling in the buyer the desire to own something a little newer, a little better, a little sooner than is necessary."[3]

Stevens' term was taken up by others, and his own definition was challenged. By the late 1950s, planned obsolescence had become a commonly used term for products designed to break easily or to quickly go out of style. In fact, the concept was so widely recognized that, in 1959, Volkswagen mocked it in a now-legendary advertising campaign. While acknowledging the widespread use of planned obsolescence among automobile manufacturers, Volkswagen pitched itself as an alternative. "We do not believe in planned obsolescence," the ads suggested. "We don't change a car for the sake of change."[4]

In 1960, cultural critic Vance Packard published The Waste Makers, promoted as an exposé of "the systematic attempt of business to make us wasteful, debt-ridden, permanently discontented individuals."[5]

Packard divided planned obsolescence into two sub categories: obsolescence of desirability and obsolescence of function. "Obsolescence of desirability", also called "psychological obsolescence", referred to marketers' attempts to wear out a product in the owner's mind. Packard quoted industrial designer George Nelson, who wrote: "Design... is an attempt to make a contribution through change. When no contribution is made or can be made, the only process available for giving the illusion of change is 'styling.'"[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Obsolescence in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolescence

#19     Jun 25, 2009
  10. update

update

sorry bud I am talking about large screen

not 43 inch and below

people like you join the discussion out of nowhere, I bet you didn't even read the whole thread

things you say are worth 1% of 1 cent

#20     Jun 25, 2009