My Trip to Manhattan

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aphexcoil, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Who said I got out of the pool? You're the one that is jumping to conclusions -- just like you do about blacks, jews, hispanics, etc.

#31     Jan 20, 2003
  2. Just keep dealing the race card from the bottom of the deck......
    If that is what you think you need to do to win.

#32     Jan 20, 2003
  3. rs7

rs7

I have not been in NYC since about middle of Oct. '01.

I went down to ground zero then. I could not get myself to take pictures (we did have our camera with us).

Seemed too morbid. I guess maybe enough time has passed now, and it is a very different place than it was then. But at that time, I really couldn't do it. I was too appalled and too disgusted. And too saddened.

It seemed a little weird to me seeing people trying to take pictures. The feeling I had then was like "rubbernecking" at a fatal auto accident. Just seemed wrong.

But, my brother, who still lives in NY sent me a photo book "One Nation" published by Time Life (says Life on the front cover). Amazing photos. Keep it on my coffee table. Probably will for the rest of my life. Pictures from 9/11 through much of the cleanup.

A thing about taking pics of a place like ground zero is it is like taking pics of scenery on a trip. Very uninteresting unless you have people you are with in the pictures. If you want just the scenery, you are always going to get better ones on post cards.

Anyway, have a great trip, and click away. See if you can find MrSub at Liberty Plaza. I heard he is selling $15 Rolex watches and $2 ties there. You will recognize him by the quote machine/backpack combo.

Peace,
    :)rs7

#33     Jan 20, 2003
  4. Hey! It's a holiday. In any event. Good pictures and a little tweaking in PhotoShop or similar software can enhance your pictures.

You can see in the first one that the camera's light meter used a lot of the bright sky to influence the shot. Tweaked in PS with a little cropping gives you:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/11e2ef39/bc/My+Photos/__hr_timessq2A.jpg?bcyGJL.Adke3pfUk

Police- I like this shot, good contrast of New York's finest as a sea of blue and the focal point of the women in white pants walking through. But it was too dark. A PS tweak:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/11e2ef39/bc/My+Photos/police2.jpg?bcyGJL.Af5Fo9pJt

#34     Jan 20, 2003
  5. Aphster, here is where 777 thinks you should have been taking pictures!:

[​IMG]

#35     Jan 20, 2003
  6. Just get it before your next major name dropping trip somewhere. We want digital uploads from the local internet cafe.[​IMG]

#36     Jan 20, 2003
  7. Don't forget, these photos on your monitor are only 72 DPI, they'll print fantastic at a higher resolution.

#37     Jan 20, 2003