my trading...

Discussion in 'Journals' started by sobemark, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Good start on a journal. My compliments.

What these first two trades had in common is that they were large gaps which you faded.

So my questions are:

1) Are you usually fading these large gaps?

2) What specifically triggered your entry after the stock had gapped?

Thanks again.

OldTrader

#11     Jan 15, 2005
  2. Hi OldTrader ..

i usually like to fade the super gaps ... obviously it depends on what news or events caused the gaps ... where and how they closed the day before ... and where and how they closed on the daily ...

on both issues ... these stocks gapped and went at least 2 periods in the direction of the gap ... this triggered my entry for both fades ... again .. using the volatility bands and 24 MA as guides for retracement ...

further note .. i missed the APPX super gap fade earlier in the week ... for it fell right at the open and one of my rules is never to chase a stock ...

#12     Jan 15, 2005
  3. What criteria do you use for screening, picking your stocks, or do you have already preselected stocks that you are following everyday ?
    hombre

#13     Jan 15, 2005
  4. karol88

karol88

Very good move, but a risky trade.

this is this kind of trade, where if you miss the exit, you'll never be able to break even.

Did you ever happen to miss the exit? if so, did you go out asap with a loss, or did you look for the next profitable exit?

#14     Jan 15, 2005
  5. i follow the usual nasdaq movers ... but the ones that make the exaggerated moves outside the vol bands are the ones i trade

#15     Jan 15, 2005
  6. yes my style of trading described in my opening paragraph seems risky since i go against the trend 99% of the time .. this is the style i developed and i have traded successfully...

usually my first entry is not the correct one and i usually buy (or sell) until the trend reverses ... my trading model is based on probabilities ... sometimes when the my first entry goes against me, the probability is that much greater that it will retrace ...so i have complete confidence to enter again .. remember , i am buying under the lower volatily band and well below the 24 MA ... or selling short on the other end ...

also, with the 'CREE' trade .. you had to take into consideration where the stock had just come from ... and the placement of the 200 DMA ..

#16     Jan 15, 2005
  7. karol88

karol88

nice, really nice move...but didn't you worry about the fact that there was a chance CREE would hit somewhere arround $25 sooner or later? see the chart (I do follow same direction trendlines over indicators)
    I wouldn't be able to handle that... I'm too nervous for such games :)

#17     Jan 15, 2005
  8. I followed CREE yesterday also. I don't use charts very much, could you specify your parameters in more detail? Thanks.

#18     Jan 15, 2005
  9. If CREE traded down to $25, I probably would have had a second and third position since the probability of CREE retracing back into the channel, and testing the 200 DMA on the upside would have been greater than 80%...

thanks for your comments :)

#19     Jan 15, 2005
  10. The CREE trade based on a correction back into the channel, and my hunch that it would retrace back to the 200 DMA ..

my model is based on the probability that it will retrace or 'snap back' to a certain price. so in actuality, the further CREE moved in the direction of the gap (down), the better of a chance it had to retrace ... which gives me the confidence to buy down..

i will explain more as my trades are posted here ..

#20     Jan 15, 2005