My trading set-up ; VPS + tablet

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Peternam, May 21, 2012.

1. Can you configure RDP so that less bandwidth is consumed ?

#11     May 23, 2012
  2. RIght now? You do not. Sadly. THer are third Party tools for that, though.

SOON: Use WIndows Server 2012 oR windows 8 - RDP is significantly improoved, including the ability to sense available bandwidth and for example even play videos over RDP, preferably with a graphics card on the server that is used for encoding. The keyword is RemoteFX. Helps to run virtual machines on a server you control so you can enable it.

Sadly ;) THat is still some months in the future, though with the release candidate out in 2 weeks time, I think I will make a test... get a new machine on the 8th that is not used for a month, only setup tests, so I will give it a try there ;)

#12     May 23, 2012
  3. promagma

promagma

If the tablet RDP client supports it - you can configure to use 8-bit color, disable visual effects, disable audio passthrough, etc. which will help.

#13     May 23, 2012
  4. the biggest and easiest saving is to disable the background image and go all plain color. Not all RDP clients support this as a client setting, so do it on the server.

Re bandwidth: an easy way is to use the Task Manager and look under the networking tab. On my 1900x1200 full color desktop I'm pulling about 8k/sec.

You can cut that into 1/3 by carefully playing with the settings.

Allan

#14     May 24, 2012