My Trading PC Specifications - Comments Requested

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by InTheZone, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Biomech

Biomech

I would also have to recommend the Intel PC. The Athlons might be like 2% faster and maybe 10% cheaper, but the Intels are WAY more reliable in my experience, and they also run alot cooler so require less fans.

The P4 system I just built a few months ago is super quiet. I also agree with the hard drive being a big noise factor. The newest Seagate drives are very nice and very quiet. The loudest thing in my PC is now the fan on my videocard. I know there are aftermarket ones that are much quieter. It is next on my list.

#11     Aug 13, 2002
  2. Thanks all for your replies! Very educational and helpful indeed.

#12     Aug 14, 2002
  3. drbtk

drbtk

Biomech-
    "I would also have to recommend the Intel PC. The Athlons might be like 2% faster and maybe 10% cheaper, but the Intels are WAY more reliable in my experience, and they also run alot cooler so require less fans. "

What are you basing Intels WAY better reliability on? How many processors have you ever seen fail? Early AMD supporting chipsets had some issues, but I've never seen any data that there is any difference in processor reliability.

FUD

#13     Aug 14, 2002
  4. The majority of the high pitched constant noise generated comes from the cpu fan.

#14     Aug 14, 2002
  5. fleance

fleance

I built a new PC a 2 months ago, and I recommend the newer Intel chips because (1) they are using 0.13 um process so they are smaller, and use less heat than equivalent AMD part so you don't need as strong a fan (2) once Intel released the P4s with 512 KB cache, they took over the performance lead from AMD.

I used a 2.0a 512 KB cache.

The most important things for me was (1) low noise (2) data protection. (3) fast enough, but not 'cutting edge' fast.

Intel 2.0a 512 KB cache
    512 MB RAM
    3 X Maxtor Quiet Drive 80 GB for WinXP
    (2 drives setup in RAID 1 mirror configuration for data
    protection)
    Gigabyte 8RIXP (sp?) motherboard, supports RAID, onboard sound, onboard ethernet.
    ATI 8500 (Runs cooler than Nvidia's topoftheline)
    Lian Li case. The fans (ATTA (sp?) fans) that are included
    are basic double-ball bearing fans, but they are pretty quiet.
    Enermax 350watt power supply (the fan is whisper quiet)
    DVD drive, CDRW drive

Software:
    WinXP
    OpenOffice (free from http://www.openoffice.org , no need to pay Microsoft $400 for Office XP if you just want a word processor and spreadsheet. This software works great and can read/write all the microsoft .doc, .ppt, etc. formats. ).

I ordered most of the parts from http://www.newegg.com , which I highly recommend for competitive prices and good service. The overall cost was around $1550 for hardware and software. Today it would probably cost $1300 or less. The Intel 2.0a 512KB cpu has already dropped from $300 when I bought it to around $190 now. I think either the 1.8a or 2.0a is a good deal now.

#15     Aug 14, 2002
  6. mktman

mktman

What was your total cost?

What type and amount of RAM did you use?

Thx

#16     Aug 14, 2002
  7. AMD also uses the .13 process for the Athlon XPs with the Thoroughbred core (XP 2000 and above). From what I read the power consumption of both chips is nearly the same.. about 70 watts requiring manufacturer certified coolers with high volume fans.

#17     Aug 14, 2002
  8. Biomech

Biomech

My own experience, my co-workers' experience, and extensive research online with other peoples experience.

Me personally? That would be 3. I have never seen an Intel chip fail and I have worked with more of them than I have Athlon chips. And no none of them were overclocked.

Yes early chipsets had quite alot of issues. And many of the current chipsets still do. Intel's supporting chipsets are still much more dependable. Yes, much.

#18     Aug 15, 2002
  9. MrDinky

MrDinky

As an owner of both drives I agree on the recommendations (I'm especially partial to the IBM's), however I'm not so sure maker alone makes a difference as I've owned noisy drives from both makers too. Wish they had a "noise" rating for these things.

:cool:

#19     Aug 15, 2002
  10. Amkeer

Amkeer

I have 2 systems set up for trading, both amd and they are rock solid stable. I am running the xp1800+ and its extremely fast. My other system is the first generation Athlon 500mhz and its great too.

You are going to get noise anyway you look at it. The power supply fan is noisy as well as the graphics fans. You can do what i do and crank the tunes up!!!!

The only computer i have ever had a problem with was a pentium.

Go with the AMD!:D

#20     Aug 16, 2002