My Theory On Predicting Long Term Range Breakout

Discussion in 'Forex' started by achilles28, Dec 12, 2005.

1. achilles28

achilles28

oh , and the backtest request was made directly after a member posted a message thanking me for sharing my insight.

he later erased his post which is why you dont see it.

#11     Dec 15, 2005
  2. terafly

terafly

I don't know anything about the forex market and so can't really comment on the soundness of your hypothesis, but i urge you to find a way to test it out. If you can't backtest it yourself, perhaps you can find someone to help you. Who knows, you may come across something completely unexpected. Good luck.

#12     Dec 16, 2005
  3. One of the most interesting things to do is think about what strategy would have worked yesterday. Once you come up with a strategy go look at a chart and see if it would have worked.
    It is interesting how much different the markets can behave then how you perceive them

#13     Dec 16, 2005
  4. I would like to clarify that the post that was deleted/ erased by myself contained merely/ only two words "Thank you.".

#14     Dec 16, 2005
  5. I dunno either, seriously.
    In fact what are the minimum requirements for a method to qualify as THE HOLY GRAIL?
    :confused:
    nono

#15     Dec 16, 2005
  6. Perhaps exactly the same requirements as for "Infinite Wealth" (Van Tharp / Robert Kiyosaki). It's in the eye of the beholder; different for everyone. Seriously.

#16     Dec 16, 2005
  7. achilles28

achilles28

1) Isn't that what I said? "a member posted a message thanking me for sharing my insight. "

2) Y did you erase your initial post?

Obviously you see some merit in the idea? Y are you afraid to discuss it?

Wtf do i care? Like you said, most people on this site, lurking or posting, don't have the patience, inclination, foresight or plain curiousity to pursue an idea like this. In theory or practise.

So why should anyone feel threatened?

#17     Dec 16, 2005
  8. achilles28

achilles28

Im not saying it is by any stretch. Oddtrader made the inference. Whether he is being factious or not, possibly half factious - I really don't know.

All i know is theory may have some merit. Whether one can pull any utility out of it could make the difference between it being a dog or the grail.

I agree with Lateapex - depends on the person.

That being said. You think the theory is bs? Holds anything of relevance? Where does it fall down? What are its weaknesses?

#18     Dec 16, 2005
  9. The problem is either markets overshoot despite a turn in fundamentals, or they anticipate the fundamentals and begin turning far earlier than the statistics will show.

So basically, you're back to square one in predicting a range breakout -- sometimes a breakout will work, sometimes it fails and goes out the other side.

#19     Dec 16, 2005
  10. Your theory seems plausible to me. As I do no Forex, I wouldn't know whether this might help in making money.

#20     Dec 16, 2005