my stomach hurts

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Brandonf, Oct 10, 2005.

1. When I used to work for a living, every time I got in the car to go to work I got a bad case of acid indigestion. I thought the stress of my job was causing it.

Not really. It was the two cups of coffee that I had for breakfast.

Cut out the caffine.

#11     Oct 10, 2005
  2. Brandonf,

Are you generally a very hyperactive person? I sure am.

Just recently I was told by my doctor that my hyperactivity and anxiety are one in the same - usually they are a result of running away from certain difficult emotions (i.e. not dealing with difficult emotional situations correctly - if at all) like family, money, girlfriend etc...

My anxiety comes out in the form of stomach pains as well - my Doc says I need to practice deep breathing - and recommends the following:

Slow, deep breaths starting from the lower abdomen, travelling through the stomach and then into the lungs (like filling your body with oxygen from the center up).

Also, in my case, the anxiety/hyperactivity is actually a performance enhancer, my stress levels increase my concentration but will sometimes also hurt my stomach. This type of mind/body stuff comes from a lifetime of sports - my body and mind learn to anticipate market action via muscle memory and cause anxiety - similar to standing at the plate waiting for a pitch.

Its actually a blessing in disguise IMO but controlling the negative affects can be difficult. What I am working on is focusing on proper breathing techniques and stretching.

Regards,

Mike

#12     Oct 10, 2005
  3. Babak

Babak

Ulcers are not caused by stress as people and doctors have thought. :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4304290.stm

Brandon, maybe you should consult your neighbor re this. :)

#13     Oct 10, 2005
  4. It is time to take a break. Take 2 days off and spend one of them away from anything that is trading related. You should come back anxious to get back in and look for opportunities.

#14     Oct 11, 2005
  5. Brandon,

Since you have moved your positions to cash and based on your last journal video, I would think that you are feeling very unsure about the direction you want to take based on recent market action. I think you might be getting some performance anxiety and your stomach is where this anxiety is manifested.

Use this time to assess your situation along with what you want to do with your fund. If you want to take some bets, then cut your risk percentage in half or less (if you risk 2% of your account on each trade, then risk 0.5%) and then if market confirms your bias, go ahead and add to your positions.

Anxiety and trading are a very poor mix. Believe me, I scalp all day long and when I start feeling like I'm unsure about the direction we are taking, I get anxious. I always stop trading and cut my size down to the minimum and just trade small until I find a flow and get things back in line.

Good luck.

#15     Oct 11, 2005
  6. You may have a stomach ulcer. They are caused through a bacteria in your stomach.

I have had them and sometimes sitting with bad posture actually increases the physical pain of the ulcer as your stomach presses on the ulcer internally.
    This may be why you only get the pain when you sit down to trade.

Your doctor can test for the bacteria with a special breath testing machine.

Runningbear

#16     Oct 11, 2005
  7. fitrol

fitrol

could be the early stages of an ulcer, more likely IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)...spasms, shortness of breath etc stress/anxiety related, alcohol/caffeine/nicotine aggravate an already bad situation....my doc banned the lot and put me on a wholemeal diet for 3 mths....got bored got drunk smoked 40...ended up in hospital for 2 days!!!

#17     Oct 11, 2005
  8. I agree take a break, take a weekend getway, go do something to get you out of your anxiety and into the moment....sky diving ( that was fun! ) race car driving ( look forward to that ), anything to get you off your stress and into the moment of something fun that captures your exitement.

Try some subconscious reprogramming tapes, if you are inclined. I listened to one and my trading improved 90 degrees better the next day. Now I must shoot for the other 90, lol!

I am considering working out in the morning before trading because I felt better when I did it before my selling days as an employee, instead of rolling out of bed 1/2 hour before market open.

#18     Oct 17, 2005
  9. maxpi

maxpi

Brandon buddy, it sounds like you are seriously overworked and your body is telling you to do something else. I have been there, I had to force myself to take a day off once a week and I also found that some real good knowledge about diet and supplementation was a huge help.

#19     Oct 18, 2005
  10. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

If you dont get at least one ulcer trading you aint tryin hard enuff!!! :D

only kidding.

being in peak physical and mental condition adds to your edge.

i am developing the discipline to look inwards and not bother trading nless i am 100%. i have noticed that if i trade when i am not 100% (eg anxiety cos of a certain brokerage going under), then its 50/50 if i will win that day - so whats the point? so then i just walk away.

sort it out. see the quack.

brandonf - check out this - could help with your soros belly.....

www.focusing.org

also, do a google on eugene gendlin and his/her web site (cant remember url) - done a load of work and interviews with soros around the area of how the body sends messages to the brain about investment decisions - how to tap into what the body is telling us.

personally i think its all a crock, but some will find it useful - more power....

#20     Oct 18, 2005