My SPM + SCT child

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by frostengine, Oct 23, 2008.

1. My expectations is NOT a system that never loses. That is insane. However, what I meant when I said SPM is not always right, is that by ITSELF SPM is not profitable over the LONG RUN.

Whoever is trading SPM has to know when to avoid a signal, or when to expect a quick out after taking a signal. Those are things SPM by itself does not address, and has to be addressed over the LONG run to be profitable. Therefore I use concepts from SCT to fill in those gaps...

I rather make money than be stubborn.. so if you have ideas that are "better" than the SCT ideas on how to address THOSE ISSUES with SPM.. then by all means.. lets hear it

#51     Oct 27, 2008
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

you can feel it, do you?:D

#52     Oct 27, 2008
  3. Ok, we agree on something. I do agree that price action tells you that. That is why I must use SOMETHING to fill in those gaps, currently that something is SCT. Since it has someone rigid rules for identifying that price action.

If you have other ways of 'seeing' price action for a machine, then I am open to suggestions.

The suggestion to stop trying to autotrade is ludicrous. This is not meant to be a debate of the virtues of autotrading over manual trading. So leave that out. The decision to autotrade has been made. Now the only question is how to make the most money with that autotrading.

Its not like I do not have a profitable auto trading strategy at this point. It is highly profitable, and getting better. Granted it may not be profitable going forward, but we will know that soon enough.

#53     Oct 27, 2008
  4. One day makes the game? As I said before this is for long term profitability. If I have an auto-trading strategy that can reach anywhere near 20-30% return yearly. That is all I ask for. The day in and day out stuff does not matter. Yes you made money today, my bot did not make a trade. No reason my bot has to trade near as often as a discretionary trader. Simply looking for solid yearly returns.

Comparing discretionary trading to a bot is nuts. Its apples and oranges.

#54     Oct 27, 2008
  5. What part are you not getting? I am trying to improve SPM for a MACHINE. SPM by itself is not profitable for a MACHINE.

Therefore 20-30% yearly is a HUGE improvement over SPM for a machine trading it.

#55     Oct 27, 2008
  6. There is no debating that with a machine some performance metrics are not going to be as high as a descretionary trader who can "see" what is going on and react.

However, while your sitting in front of yoru screen all day everyday trading. My machine can be slaving away while I enjoy my day. Each has its benefits. I'd sacrifice some profit for the luxury of less screen time.

#56     Oct 27, 2008
  7. If you enjoy the "kill" your not a trader either, your a gambling addict. Your addicted to the high of winning. Trading is a means to an end. If you see it as anything other your just a gambler.

#57     Oct 27, 2008
  8. Looks like I was having a conversation with myself this afternoon as all the other posts have been removed?

I will be continuing the forward test tomorrow with all trades sent to collective2 for independent records.

I am adding the short component to the strategy for tomorrow. The new performance metrics of the strategy is:

Profit: +$56,720
    Trades: 831
    Win Pct: 50.66%
    Profit Factor: 1.78
    Sharp: .71

EDIT: I am actually getting pretty close to the elusive 1000 trades with a profit factor 2.0. I have never had an automated strategy reach that mark. Maybe with a little more work this one can do it.

#58     Oct 27, 2008
  9. Frost, how can I locate your system on Collective2?

#59     Oct 27, 2008
  10. #60     Oct 27, 2008