My series 7,66,3,30 and taking C++/Java

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by EChicago, Jan 8, 2008.

1. I like to share some info, maybe it will help u and others who read it.

if you jst want to programme C++ (not modelling as a quant) there are plenty of jobs. and you'll get more than $100k. typical bonus across IT/programmers are 20-100%. most programmers who are working on app projects don't sit too close to front office sales/traders - u might not even be on the same floor. but u do regularly have contact as you're meeting their demand. the smaller the bank/teams the closer you would be. if you a get a MSc in a financial degree from a TOP school you're more likely to land a quant job. you'd get paid more - but not a greatly enjoyable job, most quants are wannabe traders and they do end up trading. pricing quants regularly sit on the trading desk aswell. the most successful traders i've met are former quants. they really know their game - better than general traders. and for your info, most of the senior flow traders ive met in banks dont even have a degree. - 1. because qualification wasn't that important back in their time and 2. most have been promoted from jobs that didn't require top degrees. I haven't met a single prop trader WITHOUT a degree. most people don't know much of trading in banks and think they all do the same. but the prop desk is the team that actually makes bets on the market. the rest take client positions and hedge risk. both rewarding financially if ur good. a friend of mine who works for a large bank, of the thousands of workers they employee only 4 are prop traders. across trading in investment banks only 5% of traders are prop.

in the same way people underestimate how difficult it is to get some of these jobs, they underestimate how easy it is to get promoted internally. once you're in, the possibilities are entirely in your hands and ur ability to network. of course not everyone can be a quant as u do seriously need to have the knowledge.

#11     Jan 11, 2008
  2. rosy2

rosy2

i am in chicago in a role you describe. if your strong at programming then you can get a job and be paid well but my firm is always looking for people and cant find anyone.

#12     Jan 11, 2008