My review of Bulletproof coffee

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Golden Retriever Trading, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Overview

There has been some hype regarding Bulletproof Coffee. I've heard about it first on London Real, and then Joe Rogan.

I was skeptical at first. Whenever there's hype, I usually remain skeptical but I did give it the 'ol college try and I have to say I'm amazed by the results.

I splurged on all of the equipment and followed the recommendations given by the creator of Bulletproof coffee. Even though my wife is an avid coffee drinker and has an expensive coffee machine, I bought a Ninja Blender, a coffee pour over kettle and dripper, the $20 Bulletproof Coffee for a small 12oz pack, plus the Bulletproof Brain Octane which is another $25, for a grand total of $175.

As a tea drinker (green tea to be specific). I've lived in Japan for close to 2 decades and consider myself a green tea connoisseur and I personally can't live without it for even a day. However I splurged on all the expensive equipment for a drink that I don't even really like coffee, as it was advertised to give mental clarity and energy, all without the usual side effects of the "coffee crash" and the jitters. As someone who suffers from ADHD, I've been looking for an alternative to Adderall, as Adderall is accompanied by a number of side effects. For me, I get the jitters a bit, severely increased urination, mineral depletion, and difficulty sleeping.

The results

Taste: In my opinion, Bulletproof coffee is a great tasting coffee. Personally, I like green tea much better, but compared to all of the other coffee I've tasted, I would say Bulletproof is up there. It's a thousand times better than Starbucks or McDonalds coffee.

Effects: I drank it with my wife and we both said at the same time, colors are looking more vivid, as if I were on a quarter or half a tab of acid or something. Mental clarity has definitely been boosted for both of us. My wife does not suffer from ADHD unlike me, however we both said that the morning brain fog has been removed. It is a bit different from Adderall, and it doesn't work as good, but I think I'll stick to this as Adderall has too many side effects, and I tend to trust natural alternatives more. As I write this, it's been 2 hours, and I've consumed 2 cups, and it's still going strong.

My personal unconfirmed results: The creator of Bulletproof coffee claims that this drink reduces hunger, and the oils is more than enough to provide energy throughout the morning. As someone who has an ultra fast metabolism and quite lean, I'm not drinking it for these results. If anything, I want to put on more weight. However, for those who have a slower than ideal metabolism, this is one of the results touted by the creator, so this may be an added benefit for some.

Conclusion: Although the initial setup costs are high, and the coffee itself is probably 3 to 6 times more expensive than supermarket coffee, I would have to say it is worth it if you are a regular coffee drinker. All things considered (price, hassle of using a blender, washing the blender, taste, and the fact that I don't even particularly like coffee, but suffer from ADHD), I would give this a 7/10. So for someone who is an avid coffee drinker, your score would probably be higher than mine.

2. sle

sle

You realize that you can make Tibetan/Mongol/Kyrgiz style tea with the same effect? All you need is the caffeine and the fats (you don't have to add sheep lard if you don't like it).

3. I did not know it. Could you please post a link or point me in the right direction for more info? I'm interested. Thanks.

4. sle

sle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_tea
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suutei_tsai
    I used to have a Mongolian roommate back in grad school and got totally addicted to that stuff for a while. There are numerous ways to make it, with either black or green tea. The super authentic form has sheep tallow in it and can have little bits of fried millet, but you can make with various forms of fat. There is a variety of recipes floating around the web, I am sure, but if you want I can ask for "the real thing".

5. You've given me more than enough to work with for now for research. I'm quite a snob when it comes to taste, so I'm sure I'll have to tinker with it to find the right mix for me.

Thank you.

sle likes this.
  6. sle

sle

I would love to hear what you come up with!

7. An avid coffee drinker would put on 50 pounds in a year drinking buttered coffee!

8. Oh it's not that much butter. Cakes, doughnuts, fried chicken, gravy has like 20 times more

9. dealmaker

dealmaker

Butter in coffee is off putting. Secret to a good cup is quality beans. I use Graffeo's beans but Blue Bottle, Ritual and Four Barrel are also very good.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017