My recent process of finding an edge.

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by TSGannGalt, Apr 1, 2007.

1. these types of things definitely do go on... i mean of course, right?

i think they do.

#21     Apr 1, 2007
  2. I'm bored so I'll bite.

Bite #1:

I'm sure Ren.Tech only needs and uses conventional chart package, like you suggest.

Bite #2:

Efficient / Inefficient... Equilibrium... Arbitrage...

You talk like a Elliottician, suggesting that there's a "correct" market and markets get "corrected". That's your opinion on how "you" model the market, within yourself.

My reply above expresses who you are. You have a strong bias on how markets are to be / is . A major flaw in automated trading.

Your definition of an edge? Sure, that's a great list. So why do you continue to limit your thought process?

Bite #3:

You can't code something that is subjective in nature. (pssst... this is an automated trading forum)

Bite #4:

I shouldn't really care about how you think, but the posts you continue to write, has that... "Hey, I know what you're talking about! I'm like you... really... I'm not kidding... look at me!!!" ... vibe. The things you write makes the whole thing off the center.

#22     Apr 1, 2007
  3. No more posts about Spectre.... please...

I don't like people who has a double standard unless it's funny.

SERIOUSLY.

#23     Apr 1, 2007
  4. Bite#4

Your projecting your own psychology on others, you think being a quant jock is part of some elite club.

My knowledge of programming is limited and my background is not comp sci/finance related. I'm purely discretionary. The core principles of what makes money and doesnt I know well.

Why would I want to be like anyone else. I'm perfectly happy with a organic pisser then a bionic one. Though some need a bionic one to substitute for lack of a organic one.

Bite#1

the longer the timeframe your trading the less sophisticated your infrastructure needs to be. Thats all I meant by that statement. Some discretionary traders trade off weekly charts. The smaller your timeframe is(second to second), the more infrastructure, since speed becomes a larger issue in this timeframe then on daily or weekly timeframes. There are ways of adjusting risk to different timeframes. The successful methods dont need to know which direction a derivative is heading.

I'm here to learn, and the more I learn the better I become. I'm also here to share, and its your right to state something is wrong in what I'm saying.

I wish the best for you in your fund management. I'm glad the bionic barrier is setup since emotion is one aspect that needs to be taken out of the equation to be successful. The exploitation of other peoples emotion are the least risk/reward ratios around.

Chris

#24     Apr 1, 2007
  5. Actually...
    This Spectre versus Galt thing is interesting.

My take:

Galt has found a bump is the road where fish fall off a truck...
    And is excitedly telling us about the "free fish" he is basically stealing from the owners.
    One CANNOT build a business with this approach...
    Because ECN routing/queuing quirks would be rare and temporary.

In constast...
    Spectre is teaching people how and WHERE to fish...
    (Something I do at least as well as he does)...
    And providing CONCEPTS on which a profitable, long-term business can be built.

But most people here are looking for a Free Lunch...
    And are not interested in concepts that are require the very hard work...
    Of building/evolving complex infrastructure over a period of many years.

#25     Apr 1, 2007
  6. i think the barriers to entry of what galt is doing is much higher... but i think they both have working systems and they are both trading, imo.

#26     Apr 1, 2007
  7. Wow - I love that story....he may be a funny looking guy, but there's nothing "funny" about the returns he is getting....not to mention the value-added to the economy with the 140 people he's hired to run everything. Overall, VERY IMPRESSIVE.
    Suddenly, he's putting John Henry's long-term trend following concepts to shame.

#27     Apr 1, 2007
  8. basis

basis

TSGannGalt = win

spectre, supporters, and anyone who thinks jim simons trades "technically" = idiots

Stealing fish from the owners? Lol. You can't build a business from this? Hmm, David Shaw and Jim Simons might argue with you there. Not to mention Don Wilson, Blair Hull, GETCO, Ken Griffin, Joe Ritchie, etc.

The original post was correct in its description of the pursuit of edge. It doesn't come from a chart, or a wave count, or someone's desire to be smarter than everyone else. It comes from paying attention, realizing that the goal is to make money AND THAT IS ALL, and executing a well-put-together game plan.

#28     Apr 1, 2007
  9. I never implied RT trades technically. Its a link to show what a true Quant fund can do.

There are methods out there that can obtain outsized results that look quantitative but are truely simplistic measures based on volatility in relation to common variables.

The other link was just this assertion, but this assertion was blown out of proportion. And people jumped on it to show how brilliant they were.

But at the very least it shows whos out there defending their mental basis or insecurities in their pursuits.

I think quantitative finance is just another tool, like TA or FA. And its good to know what tools people are using. Whatever works consistently. All the best to every trader who burns the midnight oil in trying to obtain the edge.

I'm a decent person and not quick to throw insults out with the anonymity of the internet. But if you get off on it, then go ahead. Atleast your obtaining some satisfaction and obtain some kind of release instead of doing something else destructive towards someone else out in the real world. So if you want to insult go ahead.

Chris

#29     Apr 1, 2007
  10. basis

basis

Thanks for giving your permission. I was worried.

#30     Apr 1, 2007