My quest for the holy grail

Discussion in 'Trading' started by elliotwave, Dec 21, 2011.

1. ammo

ammo

didn't mention it but watch the uvol/dvol raio all day for turns, continuation,it only makes about 4 patterns todays was a multiple crossovers, tends to go no where

#31     Dec 27, 2011
  2. That he's run out of good ideas, and wants yours. He'll keep it between the two of you.

:D

Here's my idea: Wave 3 or C is the only elliot wave worth trading. Everything else is just trend following.

#32     Dec 27, 2011
  3. baro-san

baro-san

Why did you pick this screen name if you don't believe in it?

#33     Dec 27, 2011
  4. the1

the1

All these tools are useful. I use C++ and SQL to do similar thing that you are doing. I'm currently making the transition to C# as it seems to be the flavor of the day as well as Java but C# is my chosen path.

The Holy Grail does exist but it can only be found within you. You can become one with it through the art of meditation. Have you ever watched an athlete sit in silence before a game? They are in a meditative state that allows them to play at the height of their game. The same is true for trading. You have to prepare yourself physically and mentally to play at the height of your game. If you can master the art of mediation you will find that it is absolutely a wonderful experience. Spiritual and Professional growth are connected at the hip. Good luck on your endeavors!

#34     Dec 27, 2011
  5. I was looking at C++ but am thinking about C#, would you suggest learning C++ first?

#35     Dec 27, 2011
  6. the1

the1

Dscovering this is a great revelation for you. The masses will reject the thought that the market is random because if it is it renders their strategy meaningless. Nothing could be farther from the truth. There are tools to analyze randomness -- statistical analysis, stochastic calculus, Monte Carlo methods in Finance, to name a few. If you can learn to analyze the markets from a statical perspective it will give you a window of opportunity that very few people have access to!

#36     Dec 27, 2011
  7. Mr_You

Mr_You

I would suggest going with C# or Java as they have the most support by trading tools. They are similar in coding style and have lots of libraries available.

Python is enjoyable, but not as widely supported by trading related tools. Meaning you would be coding your own tools and probably reinventing many wheels/cars.

I've enjoyed writing Perl, PHP, Python and see the value of R, but now that I'm getting into trading, I see my future mostly spent with C# and maybe some F#.

I suggest using Windows 7 if you aren't already. And you may want to try multiple tools within a virtual machine (using VirtualBox or such) before installing them in your main development environment.

#37     Dec 27, 2011
  8. the1

the1

I would agree with this. I've heard some good things about R for statistical analysis but I've yet to explore that language. To the OP I'd recommend C# before C++. It's a little more user friendly and easier to learn, jmho. I studied C++ because when I began developing code C# didn't even exist. Yep, dinosaur here :( but thankfully you can teach and old dog new tricks :)

#38     Dec 27, 2011
  9. We all love holy grails. Some do come pretty close, though it may be difficult to actually see them as we get closer. In fact, I believe holy grails do exist but most of us are too stubborn to accept them as we get near them and end up turning around because it's too hard to believe or too simple.

Cheers,
    Chris

#39     Dec 28, 2011