My option trades for the past 6 months, feel free to ridicule, or offer guidance

Discussion in 'Options' started by thebubs, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Johno

Johno

Basically I think the opposite is true on all pretty well all counts. Also overall market volitility, as well as supply and demand dictates the price of options and a bear move will tend to increase the cost of the options whilst a bull move will normally reduce the cost of the options, these are general comments.

Regards

Johno

#21     Jul 9, 2009
  2. Unless you routinely trade several thousand contracts per trade, you needed be concerned with competition.

Mark

#22     Jul 9, 2009
  3. Johno

Johno

No I don't, but rather making the observation that more competition would have the potential to push prices up.

Regards

Johno

#23     Jul 9, 2009
  4. Would you mind to share a bit of your risk/ money management rules/ approach?

Do you set target price to take profit individually?

#24     Jul 9, 2009
  5. Johno

Johno

No, my wife is a country girl who didn't want to live in the city so we compomised, me I lived in Alphington down by the river with the wealty professional people, tree lined streets merc's ect. My children still haven't forgiven me for moving here!

Regards

Johno

#25     Jul 9, 2009
  6. Nice!

#26     Jul 9, 2009
  7. Ugh.

#27     Jul 9, 2009
  8. thebubs

thebubs

Would you mind to share a bit of your risk/ money management rules/ approach?

Do you set target price to take profit individually?

Nothing set in stone changes option per option. Basic approach is buy a call that in my reaserch seems undervalued.
    ie. the sock has moved 10% either direction a few times in the past 30-60days, and the option call or put that is 10% out from current strike is priced low in relation to that. Ideally I want to buy options at least 60 days out, although sometimes will do 30 or even less if there is a near term event that may cause a move.
    As far as price and I know I will be mocked for this I like 10-40c to me that means they are out of favour, and I like options with LOW volume (not alot of experts in the pool).
    As far as risk money management- I put 1000 in account and bought with that, have taken out 2000 from account thus far, (playing with houses money for now-mock again).
    My game plan for closing position is if I can sell 1/3 of position to break even on intial purchase then do that, let the other 2/3 ride ,if not moving my direction 10-14 days out from expiration sell the rest (as they quickly go to $0-the churn if you will) after that- so far have been lucky/succesful with that approach, but looking for others, recently started toying with calender calls. Biggest single bet thus far is $350 on an option (vertical call)- not playing with alot of money

#28     Jul 9, 2009

9. No mocking. Just observations:

10 to 40 cents does not mean they are 'out of favor.' it merely means the price of the option is 10 to 40 cents.

You are not playing with the house's money. It is your money. You earned it. Treat it kindly and it will remain yours.

When you get (or used to get) a paycheck, is that the company's money or your money? It's yours - exactly like trading profits are yours.

Good trading.

Mark

#29     Jul 9, 2009
  10. dmo

dmo

This is a great point and failing to heed it is one of the most common reasons for loss.

It's tempting once you've made a profit to let your guard down, lower your standards, have a little fun with that money, take a chance you wouldn't otherwise have taken.

BIG MISTAKE! Much better to continue trading with the same unwavering discipline you used to get that money in the first place. Solid, steady profits are built inch by inch, with uncompromising discipline at every step.

#30     Jul 9, 2009