My Oanda Platform Problems

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by tom123, Aug 8, 2008.

1. #21     Sep 1, 2008
  2. lol, 'voodoo ritual dances', hey I've got one of those for trading :)

Linux all sounds pretty good, I think I'll try it on a laptop first and see how it goes, see if I get any problems with other software.

I don't actually use MT4 with an Oanda feed, I like having a few feeds available from different sources as it highlights when something is wrong (ie price freezes, disconnects, quote manipulation etc). As far as I know no-one has managed it yet, or if they have they're keeping it quiet :)

#22     Sep 1, 2008
  3. Yeah, good idea is to try it on a separate machine or at least separate partition (with a double boot enabled), get used to it and then prolly move completely.

As for MT4 - understood. I also use it with it's own feed just for the reference and when need to look back say a year back of 5min data.

#23     Sep 2, 2008
  4. useful, use it daily.

#24     Dec 30, 2008
  5. hi tom,

I had the same problem before.

All solved now, unless Oanda disconnect ME! :D

1.) Java 6u6 is great, had problem with 6u7, 6u10

2.) This is a biggie, i never close my oanda during the day, bloody impossible to reconnect and have the charts load (hance no problem unless they disconnect me)

3.) The more tools you got on it, the slower it goes, hell yes! I have 8 TFs, and 5 indicators (single indicator on 5 TFs), and it get slower everytime i add an indicator. Running 2 x 1920 x 1200 desktop all filled with Oanda, seem to slow significantly right down after i add a small monitor 1024 x 800to tests MACD, just a single chart. I am running an AMD 2.6Gz x4 (2.5 overclock slightly) with 4G of DDR 800 run 32bit Win XP.

Not 100% sure, but it seems oanda's platform is only use a single core, it is quite unacceptable I want try more indictors on the lower TFs, might try an some new hardware soon :) but rightnow, with the way i trade, it is fine :)

I hope everything goes smooth for ya, drop me a line when you have time, Tom.

Cheers

Will

#25     Dec 30, 2008
  6. that would be me, CF, yes I danced naked around a pole to please my oanda software, hehehe

refer to my post just prior to this one, nowadays I don't load oanda in and out like you would with another other program, i think Oanda don't work well with with the Java Launcher (think java start up etc)

#26     Dec 30, 2008
  7. tom123

tom123

Hi Will, (and CF) happy new year to you all.
    Yes when I posted this about Oanda back in august...was having those issues, and since then 2 things, one I did realize that the problem was I was overloading the platform with too much details, trendlines, etc....and as you say, probably was the Java system, and the strength of my computer as well....since then, I have upgraded my memory card ans reinstalled better Java,and the problem isnt happening now.

but as long as I was critiquing Oanda....heres my current complaint......Oanda had a 10 pip spread for the last several hours of new york session wednesday. That prohibits trading in my book.
    they have 10 pip spread always at the start of new weeks on sunday ,for the first 6 hours.
    what a drag.....

Happy holidays to all....

#27     Jan 1, 2009