My Oanda Platform Problems

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by tom123, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Regarding scalping, I only mentioned that because whenever you see real negative posts on Oanda, 90% of the time it's a scalper having issues during news time, etc.

#11     Aug 23, 2008
  2. Hi stevegee58 no I don't use their api, I just use MT4 from various brokers, if one server goes down it's a 2-second job to log into another one.

I think it's important to have a few different sources to cross-reference quotes instead of just relying on one broker's feed. I've also got a live account with Alpari UK and IBFX and another with CMC, it highlights things like this if/when they happen!

#12     Aug 23, 2008
  3. I do believe in some kind of conspiracy, but this time my limited inteligence tells me that Cabletrader is ok, otherwise I will have to "eat my words"...

Sorry Cable for suspecting You...

So You say, that for the last weeks Oanda keeps playing fair? For how long?

#13     Aug 25, 2008
  4. Don't worry about it, I've been called worse!

Oanda seem to be fine at the moment but then it's not my account I'm trading, it's an account which was in the red and is just now back to break-even, let's see how they perform once the account starts showing a profit!

The new one-click option seems a lot smoother with hardly any slippage, the connection is still a bit unreliable and struggles at times but it's not a problem so far....

#14     Aug 31, 2008
  5. I had Oanda platform problems, but quickly found out it was really Java handling Oanda badly...

The most stable Java version under XP for me was version 6 update 5 (available on Java site in archive).

Then I've moved to Linux and use update 10 (beta) which runs perfectly and my Oanda never had lag or other similar problems anymore.

#15     Sep 1, 2008
  6. Thanks for that CFerret, I've just had a look at the version I'm running and it's v6 Update 7 but it seems quite stable. I still get the annoying fragmenting thing though, bits of different windows in other windows, I thought enabling hyperthreading had solved it but it still happens now and then especially after a very active scalping session.

What made you change to Linux and how do you find it compared to say XP? Better performance? Enough features? Any software compatibility problems? Will Metatrader run on it do you know?

#16     Sep 1, 2008
  7. Cable,

My pleasure if it can help!

I tried up to 6u6 under XP and experenced execution lags etc. crap after what I downgraded to 6u5 and it fixed the problem. But I have a friend who have tried all ways including voodoo ritual dances around his XP based computer and still can't manage to make Oanda run without Java glitches. :D

Under Ubuntu Linux 8.04 along with Sun Java 6u10 installed I do not experience any problem with Oanda.

As for Linux itself - I like it's stability and security as first features to mention, at least Java apps run more smoothly and reliably under it for me.

Also it seems to use hardware resources more optimally...

MT4 runs absolutely OK under Ubuntu (which I use) with help of Wine (Win32 API implementation for UNIX) as well as Quotetracker does (use it with IB feed).

Not that XP was a nightmare, it was OK, but Linux definitely is what I like - gives a stable, secure, easily configurable environment for free... So just see no reason to help MSFT go up by buying their products. :)

P. S. I am also very interested in how you use MT4 with Oanda feed.

#17     Sep 1, 2008
  8. I have Linux Ubuntu, and from that time I hate Windows.

The only problem is With metatrader: You have to run it under "Wine" (windows emulator, it is possible recently). Almost everything is ok, but changing parameters of CUSTOM indicators is not always possible. I hope they fix it soon, otherwise You have to get involved in a code a bit and preset the indicators with desired values, colors and so on. I admit, it is a little bit annoying, but anyhow Linux is preferable to me.

#18     Sep 1, 2008
  9. forest,

Just've checked, indeed such a bug exists... Would never notice it cause only use PA and CCI with standard settings... :)

We should submit a bug to Wine community, so they can fix it somehow in next releases.

What version do you use now? I use 1.0.

#19     Sep 1, 2008
  10. #20     Sep 1, 2008