My nq price action method

Discussion in 'Journals' started by slugar, Sep 1, 2013.

1. slugar

slugar

Thanks RN I'm getting better and I think I know when to pull the trigger need to work on strict rules for exiting and study more market profile so I can get better at support and resistance. not a bad day I managed 18.5 points on the nq without trading the big early swing due to some errands I had to run. I will post my chart in a while with my trades plus the ones that should have been taken.

#401     Apr 23, 2014
  2. Redneck

Redneck

There is a member; Ammo - hangs out in the ES journal - he uses MP - and is good at it - maybe study some of his posts

Just don't hindsight it - learn whatever there is to learn - then and move on

No need beating yourself up over the past

Good Job Sir

RN

#402     Apr 23, 2014
  3. slugar

slugar

Thanks RN I've been in contact with ammo and he is very willing to help. The trades I mark will be the ones I took and should have when I was away

#403     Apr 23, 2014
  4. slugar

slugar

todays trades using the 500 tick

#404     Apr 23, 2014
  5. Redneck

Redneck

Before commenting on your chart…, allow me to go off on a little tangent

Topic;

When to combine signals / when to keep them separate

This is theater of the mind..., so work with me here

The scenario;

A down move.., containing 3 signals;

1 - DT
    2 - LH’s - which form a down move TL
    3- PB - in the form of a range - to the down move TL – which ultimately breaks out to the down side

(initially just think – price is moving down from a newly formed DT)

We’re watching the chart

And see a DT form (could be adjacent bars… could be the two DT bars are separated by some number of bars –no matter it’s a potential DT forming)

We short it – the stop is a breach of this DT (strait forward)

Now instead…, we miss the above entry and price goes on to create a LL

Do we trade this as it were a DT – no…,

Unless price retests and fails at / near the DT – which would equate to equal H’s (for a triple top)… or a LH (price only got near the DT)

So from the above LL – we’re likely no longer looking for a DT trade…, but instead looking for a LH entry signal

(and 2 or more LHs can be connected to create a down move TL

Price creates 2 LHs – which we can short – and our stop is – a breach of this down move (LHs) TL…

But no longer would it be a breach of the DT – that trade signal has gone and went.., if we didn’t take it initially

However.., if we had entered short @ the DT – we certainly could use a breach of this down move (LHs) TL as the stop

Onward

Price creates.., say 4 move LHs (at a steeper decent than the initial 2 LHs) – then proceeds to PB…, in the form of a range…, to the initial down move (LHs) TL

While price is in this range;

Could we use the DT signal or stop – no, we’re way past that – if we didn’t take the DT short initially

Could we use the down move (LHs) TL – possibly – recall I said price was in a range – pulling back to this down TL

Could we use a B/O…, to the down side…, out of the range…, as an entry signal – certainly

Our stop – a breach of the LH (down move) TL / breach of the top of the range (it’s the same)

Now.., if we had entered the DT short… or the initial down move (LHs) TL – we could also use the same (as described in the last sentence) – breach of the down move (LHs) TL / breach of the top of the range –as the exit

My point

We need to constantly distinguish and separate when one signal evolves into the next

We can use a failure of the current signal as an exit for the previous entry

But never use a failure of the previous signal…, as an exit.., for the current signal

=========================

Another way you can “bounce these signals off one another” and read price

DT = weakness / down bias (price’s bias)
    LH = weakness / down bias
    Range B/O (which btw.., if nothing has changed – then which way should price break out) to the down side = weakness

Price doing this in a relatively tight channel = lack of volatility / consensus / predominant control

All that equates to what = down/ weakness/ short it

=====================

Whether knowingly or not.., today on your frist trade – you used 1 signal to enter (DB)…, then the next signal (breach of the up move (HL) TL) to exit – which is perfectly acceptable

But did you realize that

Also – now can you see why I want you to break down that one attachment – the more signals you see in succession – lends credence to what price is doing… and very likely will continuing doing

Realize though – this is but one of the reasons (there are several).., you need to really understand that attachment I posted

Hope this makes sense - if not - let's break it down - this is a fundamental to really reading PA imo

RN

#405     Apr 23, 2014
    BonScott likes this.
  6. Redneck

Redneck

Focusing only on the down move TLs / entries

I’d say 1.., 2.., 4.., 5.., and 6

We’re drawn entirely after the fact

Missed the initial move (thrust) down price made – then it appears keyed off the secondary down move to draw the down TLs

And if that true – then I must question the validity of shorts – A…, C.., and D

=============

Down TL 3 / Short B – I get that one.., no question

I’ll next focus on the longs

RN

#406     Apr 23, 2014
  7. Redneck

Redneck

Focusing only on the up move TLs

1 – Not connecting the lows (reference my poorly drawn :p red TL) – entry is fine
    2 – Beautiful line / entry
    3 – Beautiful line / entry

eta - There is not an overall down TL drawn - which is okay - but realize the bias (hence short signals) stand the best chance

Not to say going long is not valid... just any long - be prepared to exit quicker / expect less of a favorable move

RN

#407     Apr 23, 2014
  8. slugar

slugar

The reason I didn't mark the initial short was because I wasn't around and I didn't mark any pre market trades. So the 1st short was off a retracement in an obvious down move

#408     Apr 23, 2014
  9. slugar

slugar

short c was at resistance and short d was a lower high at the down trend line so I thought it was ok

#409     Apr 23, 2014
  10. Redneck

Redneck

Not nitpicking - just observations

Nothing is obvious - ever (like expecting - nope)

================

On another note - make sure to rest Sir - tomorrow we do it all over again

:)

RN

#410     Apr 23, 2014