My next prediction. (The Euro to fall apart)

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Oct 7, 2008.

1. bbqbbq

bbqbbq

i dont think the euro will collapse. too many people here using the euro to easily go on vacation to italy france spain etc.
    one currency also eliminates thecurrency movements between the participating countries. i remeber a story where the german currency lost half its value overnight thus causing thousands export jobs lost. that is now a thing of the past. unless export is to the us , because dollar is weak now.

#31     Oct 8, 2008
  2. The news is that the US is trying to get the EU to coordinate a bailout and they can't get together on it because they all don't want to bail out their neighbors... and their taxpayers are way more opposed to the use of their tax monies for such things traditionally. It seems quite possible that they won't be able to put together a bailout at all... otoh, they may be participating in the USA bailout to the max since they can do that if they have a US subsidiary...

#32     Oct 8, 2008
  3. JB3

JB3

Damn, I don't even remember what the hell Germany's orginal currency was.

It would seriously piss me off if this happens as my strategies are already programmed with Euro.

#33     Oct 8, 2008
  4. gold-pressed latinum

#34     Oct 8, 2008

5. Here's an interesting article which outlines the predicament facing the EMU project entitled : 'Who is going to bail out the Euro?'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...Crisis-Who-is-going-to-bail-out-the-euro.html

A very dangerous situation indeed.

#35     Oct 9, 2008
  6. #36     Oct 9, 2008
  7. zdreg

zdreg

this thread makes me laugh. jim rogers a few years ago made the prediction that the euro will disappear.
    as usual he did not give a time table.

#37     Oct 9, 2008
  8. Look,
    it's really simple -- there will always be the possibility in the future that something can happen. How "realistic" it is, and when it could happen - that is a completely different thing.

Just identifying the dangers, does not mean that it is GOING to happen. That is just like with trading - there are some influences, but these change and what in the end happens is not easy to predict with accuracy if projected far into the future.

It is fairly easy to predict detailed changes into the short term future, and likewise large-scale general changes into the far future. However, when considering the far future - you need to have very good and balanced information so that you understand the "big picture".

As it stands now, the Euro is offering much more positive than negative for the EU - it empowers the world's largest trading bloc and saves in terms of bureaucracy, improving efficiency and transparency with comparable pricing over the monetary union. That is much more powerful than the drawback of the Euro for the time being.

If anything, Europe is sufficiently advanced technologically that an electronic currency can be introduced at some not so far future - and that would of course mean a change, and improvement on so many levels.

#38     Oct 9, 2008
  9. jprad

jprad

Save the agenda-laden crap.

If trust existed within the EU then all 27 member countries would be using the Euro for their currency instead of the 12 that are now.

The EU is a convenience, not an ideology, and that will be it's undoing.

#39     Oct 9, 2008
  10. Daal

Daal

EUR is toast. short EUR/JPY is a trade worth considering now

#40     Oct 9, 2008