My next motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nitro, Feb 21, 2004.

1. nitro

nitro

rally,

KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW. $1375 for this board? There goes another $1375 out of my wallet :eek:

BTW, do you know if Alvio has a case for this system yet? Any recommendations?

Thanks for the link. :cool:

nitro

#51     Mar 20, 2004
  2. rally

rally

I don't know to be honest, I just came across this and thought you'd be interested. There is this case but I don't know if it will be any good for the quad mobo:

http://www.alvio.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=1807

But if I come across anything I'll post them on here.

#52     Mar 21, 2004
  3. Hi All,

I bought many motherboards over the last 12 years. Looking back, my first criterion would be reliability. Funny that I never see this point mentioned in this thread.

I kind of noticed in the tech websites that regularly the avantgarde boards turn up in the list of the clunky ones after a few months. Am I wrong staying with the rather conservative "lower" performers?

Be good,

nononsense

#53     Mar 21, 2004
  4. nitro

nitro

I agree, and I believe that this is Tyan's first Quad board. However, If this were any other maker than Tyan, I would wait for the kinks to get worked out.

IMO, with Tyan, any problems will be resolved by a simple flashing of the BIOS.

nitro

#54     Mar 21, 2004
  5. Hi nitro,

You are truly "in love" with this Tyan board. I certainly hope you're right about re-flashing BIOS. Without naming any brands, I have had one or two different board types that kept on having problems, this in spite of the 10 or so bios-generations I applied to them.

BTW, going for performance, I believe that I once read something about making different Linux computers participate in collaborative computational schemes. Don't know much more about this though.

Be good,

nononsense

#55     Mar 21, 2004
  6. nitro

nitro

Hello nononsense,

Well, before this board and AMDs 800 series Opteron processors, quad boards were waaay out of my price range. This board changes that and completely throws a monkey ranch into corps like Dell and IBM and HP.

When people realize that they can get a Quad machine that likely blows out of the water the machine they bought from these manufacturers, at 1/2 the price, we are going to see a slew of newer faster machines. I love the competition that this is creating. We are the beneficiaries of this.

I am a little dissapointed that SuperMicro did not take the lead on Quad machines (I do not think they build to AMDs :( ). However, I hear from the grapevine that they are working on an Eight Way Itanium2 system :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I know something about clusters. I am no expert on it by any means. I run my own small cluster with some very fast machines by most people on ET's standard, but the way I use the "cluster" is not to distribute algorithm running on the same data, but to distribute the algorithm running on different data.

I absolutely love Linux. I wish more of the stuff that was offered to traders was available for it. Microsoft's .NET is OS independent. In fact, MSFT has an early version of .NET that runs on FreeBSD. I can't wait.

nitro

#56     Mar 21, 2004
  7. nitro

nitro

Aah!

I believe this is the case they are putting it in:

http://www.alvio.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=2993

Ugly as hell, Oh well.

I would have preferred this case:

http://www.alvio.com/smoreinfo.asp?iid=2029

But it may not breathe well enough for four Opterons.

nitro

#57     Mar 21, 2004
  8. JackR

JackR

Try doing a Google search for Beowolf and NASA.

#58     Mar 21, 2004
  9. nitro

nitro

#59     Mar 21, 2004
  10. Hi nitro,

The .NET BSD version is interesting. I don't know whether this is serious or not, but I heard a rumor that Longhorn will never see the light. They have postponed it again. The rumor has it that M$ would switch to Linux in 2 years or so, trying to hang on to their Office and other things. This could also give some weight to the .NET support in UNIX. Again, this is only rumor.

As you probably read, I am kind of searching myself for portable development tools. Of course, I'll keep on using C++ as before. I had acquired Kylix3 (=Delphi & C++) but Borland seems to have lost interest. I'm set up now in Python, both in Windows and Linux. I like this very much. It seems to be highly efficient to get things done. When you're interested in high performance math work, it seems they have quite a bit of support for this too but I haven't looked at this. I'm not sure though if this is really the right longterm solution.

I'll take a look at .NET for BSD. Thx.

nononsense

#60     Mar 22, 2004