my new system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by march21st, Dec 25, 2010.

1. That's 50% more than what I was intending to spend.
    What do I really gain for $400 to $500[with taxes] more?

Our software guy over at Bright Trading [Ullrich] said:
    buy the fastest dual or quad core you can afford, and the most ram you can afford.
    And he thought a smallish main SSD drive would help.
    [After I told him I intended to run 2 of his automated programs]

I thought I would wait and see how the computer ran without an SSD.
    The 4 monitors is my personal need. I currently run 4; but 2 are with a laptop.

marc

#21     Dec 27, 2010
  2. Not trying to totally derail your thread here but what is your arrangement with Bright? Don't firms usually pay for their trader's hardware? How much do you pay them in commissions for them to tell you what they think you should buy? Are you remote or in the office – why not ask them to pay for your machine? If they won’t pay for it consider asking yourself if you really need a new machine and how much you might or might not benefit from it.

On another note, an i5 CPU with a decent motherboard and two 320gb HDD in a RAID0 (or 4 in a RAID10 or RAID5) would be plenty fast. "as much ram as you can afford" is also a very poor statement. Will you be running x64 software? SSD is a waste of money and will only allow you to boot and open programs quickly but there is little extra speed added once the system is up and running. Look at the Western Digital Black series drives, the 640GB black is an excellent drive.

Are your trading systems single or multi-threaded? If they are single threaded then you care about clock speed as the program won't be able to use multiple cores therefore making faster clock speed per core a main concern. If they are multi-threaded you may want to consider an i7 920 and be done with it (or minor OC it).

As for RAM, if you are going DDR3 its triple channel so you want sticks in sets of 3, three 1GB sticks are better than two 2GB sticks. Do you run Excel-intensive applications or models? Do you use 2003 or 2007 (Office 2k3 or 2k7)? You are leaving out a whole lot of details in terms of how you will use your system and seem to have been blindly led down a road of either someone bullying you into buying what they want to sell you – or getting whatever is “fastest” within your budget.

For a normal Windows7 64-bit computer with Office 2007 and 90+% of the trading software out there you would be fine with an i5 like I linked to below. Get something over 3.0ghz – either the 3.2 or 3.4, or buy the “unlocked” and over clock it. Run 6GB of DDR3 RAM (three 2gb sticks) and be done with it. Look at the NVIDIA NVS 295 card if you insist on HDMI, if not look at any number of cheaper cards such as the NVIDIA 290 that you can buy used for $50. FWIW, I personally think HDMI is overrated.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...16-369^19-116-369-TS,19-115-218^19-115-218-TS

Seems like you are buying a computer to buy a computer and NOT buying a trading computer for what your trading needs. Consider fully evaluating your needs prior to shelling out a ton of cash on something that’s going to be overkill in areas you will never need and lacking in areas that you will use daily.

^^LOL, says the anonymous guy with 2 posts.

#22     Dec 27, 2010
  3. :confused:

Let me get this straight . . .

You have a GRAND to spend, but you don't want to spend more than half of the Dell system that I highlighted above for $1250, which would be $625. Yet, in your initial post here you post an Ebay listed quad-core and quad dvi computer that you are interested in getting for $865???

So which one is it???
    You have a GRAND to spend or you have only $625 to spend?

I noticed that you literally made the EXACT same post nine months ago on March 8th of this year, posting yet another Ebay link for a gaming computer from the same "seller" (FXR Computer) for $810. Are you pimping for this guy, or what???

There's a lot of good input here but you keep screwing around. Do everyone here a favor and stop wasting people's time and be SPECIFIC and REALISTIC or kindly get lost.

#23     Dec 27, 2010
  4. Bright will supply a computer if you wish, when trading in the office.
    I'm currently a remote trader.

Windows Excel is required to run the Opening Order[OPG] & Pairs programs.
    Ullrich highly recommends Office 2003. His programs run much faster with 2003.

I've been thinking of buying a new computer for a while.
    Don't we all dream of a better setup than what we have?
    Has it been 8 months? Time flys. I do procrastinate...
    I have had an eye on this seller for a year or so.

Being frugal, I was also fooling around with my own computer,
    trying to get it to run 4 monitors. I thought I could upgrade my current setup,
    and not shell out a grand for a new box. It just didn't work out.

marc

#24     Dec 28, 2010
  5. Marc,
    No clue what to tell you. The last thing I want to do is bash Bright but “Ullrich highly recommends Office 2003” makes no sense. 2007 handles RDP/DDE links much better (this is well documented in MSDN) and has the ability to use virtually unlimited amounts of system memory. Unless Bright’s computers are crappy and have very little memory (very possible) or they don’t want to shell out the cash for a 2007 license (also very possible) then I have no idea what to tell you. Why would Bright’s guy tell you something that isn’t true?

A very nice setup for what you have would be a nice 3.2 or 3.4ghz i5 CPU with 6GB ddr3 RAM running W7x64 with Office 2007 on two 320gb HDD in RAID0 with (perhaps) a 1TB internal or external for backup. Get two cheap NVIDIA NVS 290 video cards and call it a day.

You are on REDI, manually trading over the internet using excel sheets. All you need is something that will utilize Excel data more efficiently and run REDI without any issues. If you buy a 6-core CPU or even a high end 45nm quad core its on you. 32nm quads and hex-cores are already coming out as are the new Intel CPUs with integrated GPU.

#25     Dec 28, 2010
  6. great recall Landis82
    maybe this guy's the ebay seller

#26     Dec 28, 2010
  7. with all due respect,
    I just wanted to know if the ebay computer I mentioned would be ok for my needs.

need to move on, and go trade

thanks to all
    marc

#27     Dec 28, 2010