My New Laptop System - Please Critique

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CPTrader, Jun 26, 2008.

1. What do you gus recommend as the best Internet Security suite since you don't like McAfee Total Prtection. AVG is only an antivirus software.

#51     Jun 26, 2008
  2. Tums

Tums

avast! is good.

#52     Jun 26, 2008
  3. Tums

Tums

Take a look at the TM again. (both screenshots).
    If you still can't tell, you don't know what you are looking for.

#53     Jun 26, 2008
  4. Both Norton and McAfee gave me problems in the past. Not specifically their antivirus, but the firewall. And even if I deactivated the firewall after installing the entire "suite," the dormant firewall software caused me problems with my order entry software (delays). Presently, I use AVG Free for antivirus, and the free version of ZoneAlarm for firewall protection, in addition to the firewall effect of my router. I also run Spybot Search & Destroy from time to time, which I have installed free on my computer, as well as Yahoo's Anti-Spy. I have been using this combo for a few years with no problems thus far.

#54     Jun 26, 2008
  5. What are people's opinions of Kaspersky Internet Suite?

#55     Jun 26, 2008

6. AVG Anti-Virus

Commodo Firewall Pro

Spybot S&D

All free and work great without slowing down the overall system performance.

#56     Jun 26, 2008
  7. Isn't this all overkill?

Would something like this work just as good?

T8100 cpu
    3GB DDR2 RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

I would only be running something like e-signal and have the broker app up and running.

Also this machine would be attached to 2-3 flat screen monitors DVI connectors.

With this configuration I'd be saving $500 compared to a more higher-end. Is it really worth it? I ask because I presently trade from a single core PC and it seems to work fine, I just want to make sure the laptop can connect and handle multiple screens.

Thanks

#57     Jun 26, 2008
  8. gnome

gnome

Have you ever connected 2 or 3 monitors to a laptop? It's not a given, you know.

#58     Jun 26, 2008
  9. So there are real complications with connecting more than 1 monitor to a laptop?

Any suggestions then on a laptop?

I was looking at these ones

Dell D830
    Lenovo T61p
    Dell 1530 XPS
    HP DV6885

#59     Jun 27, 2008
  10. no offense, and you're thinking along the correct lines...even with a restocking fee..

the pixilation or screen real estate will disappear fast! with any charting application, especially for trading purposes...

so, concentrate on screen real estate first....

choose a 17" or higher,
    look for WUXGA configuration on the screen or WXGA,

attempt to get higher than 1600x1200 or there abouts...

this way, when you open a charting application, a trading application, a web page, and browser, and two or three more charts, you will still have room instead of be wishing you had room...

ever look at the Lenovo's or the Acer's or the Sager's?

all excellent brands

#60     Jun 27, 2008