My Long-Term Strategy

Discussion in 'Forex' started by AJFCapital, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Well that's probably true of most TA strategies.

So you're doing the SMA to the end, but then moving it back -20, or you're doing the SMA up until the last 20?

#11     Dec 23, 2009
  2. It's the actual 50 day SMA, calculated all the way to the end, but then you move it to the left 20 candles.

On the attached chart, the turquoise SMA is the 50SMA with NO shift. As you can see the lines are exactly the same.

You can do all that crazy stuff with metatrader, thats why I use it only for charting.

[​IMG]

#12     Dec 23, 2009
  3. Hmm. When I apply a MA with those parameters, it looks nothing like this on a daily chart of EURUSD back to Feb09. Is an SMA different than an MA? Sorry I am not big on TA, although I know what a MA is, I'm not sure if there is a subtle difference. I thought they were the same, but I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

#13     Dec 24, 2009
  4. 4 hr chart

I think thats your problem

#14     Dec 24, 2009
  5. Commonly known as the Golden Cross, universally watched by any serious technical analyst.

#15     Dec 26, 2009
  6. That's how I started, before the advent of all these shops, in fact it was the banks exchange rate board that I read while waiting in a queue that gave me the idea of trading forex in the first place! I thought to myself heck, someone is making a lot of money here, they Sell Dollars for one amount and Buy them for another, wow!

Downside was the >1000 pip spread tourist rates and transaction costs, and the associated service costs by needing to have multiple accounts in different currencies. Aside from that, at the time (late '90's) they (Barclays) didn't like customers speculating on exchange rates at my level.

It took me about six months of phoning through transactions to the banks customer services, they in turn phoning dealers to get a quote, me accepting, quote changes (requotes) etc etc, the whole process for one transaction took around half an hour! Eventually I got the direct number for dealers, I really thought I had arrived!!

Then there was the settlement date, I didn't have access to the funds until the 3rd or 4th working day!

Unbelievably I still managed to make a few bucks!

[​IMG]

#16     Dec 26, 2009