My laptop's clock takes a vacation twice a year

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pekelo, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Have you tried to replace your CMOS battery with all that things. I know it maybe BIOS and some other things, but that is usually something like that and that's it for sure. I do not get all this advices anyway for sure. Please do understand all that.

#11     Jun 16, 2019
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

Funny this thread coming up because the laptop just came back from its vacation.

It doesn't matter because after the "vacation time" everything works as before for the next 6 months. And here is the best part. I am using the second exactly same laptop and it has the exact same problem!

#12     Jun 16, 2019
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Well, it is this time of the year again. This morning there was a Windows update, and since then the laptop is 10 minutes behind. My best guess is that Windows is switching files in the background and the CPU is not powerful enough handling too many tasks thus the clock slows down...

#13     Aug 15, 2019
  4. apdxyk

apdxyk

5. Overnight

Overnight

If it is Windows, just make sure it is syncing with the atomic clock in Colorado each day.

#15     Aug 16, 2019
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

It is so much behind it needs to be synced in every 5 minutes. But its vacation is only temporary.

#16     Aug 16, 2019
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

#17     Aug 16, 2019
  8. Overnight

Overnight

That is unusual. Hrmm. I would guess it is what the others say. The CMOS battery is prolly' shot. To replace that on a laptop these days would be a big challenge.

#18     Aug 16, 2019
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

True. I opened it up and I couldn't find the damn thing! But again, this happened with 2 laptops. (same brand and type)

#19     Aug 16, 2019
  10. Overnight

Overnight

It is most likely a tiny button soldered onto the motherboard.

#20     Aug 16, 2019