My IRA performance for 2019

Discussion in 'Journals' started by destriero, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Palindrome

Palindrome

Des what do you mean by this? You are mostly in Volatilty (VOL), meaning short premium on index options? AND you don't hold after hours?

#31     Jan 15, 2019
  2. destriero

destriero

No, Meaning that I can't trade volatility in the AH session other than ES. NQ basically trades by appointment. I may be short gamma, not always, but always net-long.

#32     Jan 15, 2019
  3. qlai

qlai

Maybe the way he trades doesn't fit nicely with the concept of position sizing, but I'm not talking about liquidity. If he posts 10% weekly return, how do I know if he achieved it by buying a weekly call with 100% of his portfolio? He would be risking 100% to make 10%. Obviously, he is not doing that, but weekly percentage returns tells me nothing about risk he is taking on. Am I missing something? (very possible).

#33     Jan 15, 2019
  4. Oh ok you are not asking position size but % of portfolio at risk on a position.

#34     Jan 15, 2019
  5. qlai

qlai

Basically, I want to know the risk taken to achieve the returns. Otherwise, it could be another 'Supertrader' strategy for all I know.

#35     Jan 15, 2019
  6. Great thread by AFAIK an exceptionally bright & able trader. I hope to learn something that might help, and thanks for sharing a little wisdom here.

It's difficult to share much, I know because you don't want to give out your whole game.

I appreciate that you are here.

#36     Jan 15, 2019
  7. destriero

destriero

I have a 2K lot AAPL position. I am not going to discuss strikes and duration as there are people reading this journal that believe that I am violating regs (good luck).

qlai, I don't owe you anything. Read the opening post.

"I'm going to use this journal thread to document my (weekly) performance figure..."

"I'll likely post during the day when positions are traded, but I doubt that I'll have the time to post fills in real-time..."

The purpose was to see what my weekly risk is going to be over a year's time.

#37     Jan 15, 2019
  8. destriero

destriero

2,300 contracts.

#38     Jan 15, 2019
    trader99 likes this.
  9. 2,300 contracts?! That makes my 1,000 contracts seem silly... Oh wait, I meant 1 contract! :p

Way to hit 'em, D! :cool:

#39     Jan 15, 2019
  10. qlai

qlai

I never implied you did, just defeats the purpose of the journal for me personally. No more questions :)

#40     Jan 15, 2019