My IRA performance for 2019

Discussion in 'Journals' started by destriero, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I converted my profit sharing plan over many years to my Roth, The conversion for me was taxable but I did it in years where my rate was low. On a side note, we do offer IRA/ROTH IRA/401K type accounts, futures accounts with the same margin as other accounts, as long as they are open through a self directed IRA company like Midland IRA.

#11     Jan 12, 2019
    destriero likes this.
  2. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

I am looking forward to this

#12     Jan 12, 2019
    destriero likes this.
  3. qlai

qlai

Wow this is unexpected. Would you mind describing what your overall objectives are? Do you have any self imposed constraints on trading this account?

#13     Jan 12, 2019
  4. R1234

R1234

From one of your earlier threads I seem to recall you are a PM at a hedge fund?

Are you certain that is not going against SEC regs by telegraphing your personal trades in a public internet forum?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    #14     Jan 12, 2019
  5. Palindrome

Palindrome

I’m convinced 98% of ET traders trade 5 figures or less. This guy is is in the 2%. Looking forward to this.

#15     Jan 12, 2019
  6. comagnum

comagnum

"I’m convinced 98% of ET traders trade 5 figures or less. This guy is is in the 2%. Looking forward to this."

There is no shortage of day traders trying to make a living on ridiculously small accts and ludacris expectations, this crowd is the fish food.

It seems that plenty on here work full time or retired, for those into their 30's a 6 digit acct is the norm, not the exception. For the profitable full time traders @ ET I would sure hope they are crushing the working stiffs, otherwise why assume all the risks with trading 4 a living & lose all the cushy job perks?

Fidelity's metrics in Q4 2018: (This is only their 401k - not including IRA's & taxed accounts.)
    • 10-year account balances reach record levels. Individuals who have saved in their company's 401(k) for 10 years had a record high average account balance of $290,100 at the end of Q1, compared with an average of $250,500 a year ago.
    • 15-year account balances up 9 percent. Individuals who have saved in their company's 401(k) for 15 years had an average balance of $379,600 at the end of Q1, up from $330,200 a year ago.
    • 401(k) millionaires increasing. The number of people with $1 million or more in their 401(k) increased to 157,000 at the end of Q1, a 45 percent increase from Q1 2017. Based on Fidelity's internal analysis4, most 401(k) millionaires have been saving for about 30 years.
    https://www.fidelity.com/about-fidelity/employer-services/fidelity-announces-q1-2018-retirement-data

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    #16     Jan 12, 2019
    trader99 likes this.
  7. destriero

destriero

I trade for a FO in Dallas. There is a 3(c)(1) startup, but I work for the FO. I am going to refer to long/short delta and vol position but not specific trade structures.

Objectives? To beat my 2018 return.

#17     Jan 12, 2019
  8. sle

sle

Ugh, this is one of the times when I hate the whole compliance bullshit I am subject too.

Can I ask why you think that's the optimal solution? Is it because you expect a very asymmetrical payoff potentially? A late friend of mine had this idea that you want to use a Roth IRA for stuff that can payoff big (big tax free gains) but lose small (not worth the write-off)

#18     Jan 12, 2019
  9. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

This was my thinking. Both the PSP, IRA, Roth IRA all let me do the same investing, trading etc. They all accumulate tax free until I take out money except the Roth. The Roth after 59.5 allow me to take money out tax free. I expect to work until at least 65 years old, maybe longer. I have no idea what tax rates will be like at that time. But as I transitioned from trading to sales, I had years where I could move those funds and pay a low tax rates. Rates that I knew what they would be. I had the cash to pay those taxes. I decided that the certainty of a very low rate was better than uncertainty. I wanted to know what I had in there was all mine to spend. I'm not one to look back and second guess myself. I'm happy with that choice. I only have $5K left in my PSP and most of my Roth is in a hedge fund and for a few years in futures accounts with a few CTAs.

#19     Jan 13, 2019
  10. srinir

srinir

It is tax arbitrage. If one finds themselves in a year of low income and low tax and expects high income and high tax in the future years, it is better to convert

As long as it was legitimate instrument it is fine. IRS cracks down on some shady stuffs.

https://www.investmentnews.com/arti...visers-beware-another-roth-ira-scam-backfires

Romney won big.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...romneys-ira-grow-so-big-idUSTRE80N04E20120124

#20     Jan 13, 2019