My Investment Idea for 2002

Discussion in 'Trading' started by TonyOz, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Thanks Tony for your response. Wow that's a amazing you that never had a real big losing trade.
    Did you ever have at least one losing trade at all this year?

#31     Jan 11, 2002
  2. LoneHand

LoneHand

IGEN is not done yet, short it now and cover after the open at 44.5ish (around 9:40 EST) and go long, the chart should look like a check mark\/...

Good Luck

#32     Jan 11, 2002
  3. sallyboy

sallyboy Guest

Tony,

Can you give me your thoughts on what you consider to be a good trading day/week in terms of % return on capital (either using margin or not and what level if using it)? In the past you mentioned that your goal is about $6000 per day, which is great, but I'm wondering what your goal is as a % of capital. Of course daily returns may fluctuate quite a bit, but over a week one can get an idea of what type of return they expect to get consistently.

For example, most home based traders with accounts over $25K will get access to 4:1 intraday margin. So based on using some sort of margin, do you try to make 2% per week, 5%, 10%, 20% of your base capital? And, I'm talking about net returns on base capital (not gross before commissions). The way I figure it, you can pretty much count on returns based as a % of working trading capital since the larger your account, the more shares you will tend to work with, until you get to the point where you making entering and exiting your positions to difficult, all other things, such as trading style, being equal.

Input from others welcome as well.

#33     Jan 11, 2002
  4. TonyOz

TonyOz

Shortee,

Read my post again (the PSS section)

Sally,

I work with dollars and cents because percentages do not hold true for me. You see I can only buy a certain number of shares of a particular stock no matter how much money I have in my account (fully disclosed in my book). Anyhow, as I said in my books, my trading accounts returns are measured in dollars. My investment accounts returns are measured in %.

With sweaping profits out - no compounding:

A realistic goal though in terms of % for account size between 100K-250K is 8%-15% a month.

A top trader might be able to do 16%-28% a month 3 out of five years, but it will be very hard to do it 5 yeras in a row.

#34     Jan 11, 2002
  5. limbo

limbo

Lonehand nice call-and congrats on your day-you made a killing on gapping igen and then scalped it I think 3 times intra day.

#35     Jan 11, 2002
  6. TonyOz

TonyOz

Here is another investment idea for 2002.

"In pre-market note, Gruntal & Co saidit believes IGEN shares could trade up to around $74-$78 following favorable court ruling. Firm does not believe that Roche will be successful on any appeal, particularly since the monetary award was more than reasonable."

From another article "Equity analysts expect Roche to cut a deal with IGEN eventually that would let Roche keep using the products, but von Prondzynski declined to say whether Roche was inclined to seek a settlement or may simply acquire IGEN to solve the issue." http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/020111/l11371863_2.html

Amazingly, the market cap of the company is 758 Mil while they just won 505 mil in court.

It will be interesting to see what happens, I might buy some shares on weakness.

Have a great weekend

Tony

#36     Jan 12, 2002
  7. TonyOz

TonyOz

Have not bought it yet.

I don't like the market, so I'm sitting and waiting :) Have not traded once since the IGEN trade I posted here.

Anyhow, this came out today:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020115/phtu036_1.html

80-100 price target ... hmmm ... Maybe a good buy around 35-37?

Do your own DD!!

Your opinions are very welcome

Tony

#37     Jan 15, 2002
  8. LoneHand

LoneHand

Tony,

I am no expert with swing trade, however, my thought about IGEN at this level is, instead of betting it higher or lower, given the size of your account, why not build a position like you did with SEBL and wait for the market to play it out?

Good Luck

#38     Jan 15, 2002
  9. TonyOz

TonyOz

I wanted to see some profit taking and consolidation. I want to look both at the options and stock. If no apeal for 18 months, not too much risk to justify high cost of put hedges. Maximum position for me would be 3000 shares. Thinking of buying in 5 to 10 phases and cost average into it (300-600 shares every other day or somthing like that). I like it in the mid 30's.

This of course is an investment, but if good paper profits are present, I may close it just like I did with SEBL.

#39     Jan 15, 2002
  10. TonyOz

TonyOz

Bought 1000 at 39.79.

1/3 position is on. Let's see where it takes me next :)

Edit: Check out the block trades afterhours ....

#40     Jan 16, 2002