My Investment Idea for 2002

Discussion in 'Trading' started by TonyOz, Dec 28, 2001.

1. TonyOz

TonyOz

Bought in phases and sold in phases. The most I paid for it was 48.21 and the most I sold it for was 49.10. It was going up when I traded it. I had great entry initially and just kept buying and then I gave it to the greedy ones at a "fair market" price :) I don't even know how many shares I had open, because I had an order to buy at 48.21 and an order to sell at 48.72 and both were getting hit at the same time. LOL, gotta love that, so I kept adding shares to those orders. (I'd get another 600 at 48.21 then add that to the sale order). As soon as anything was sold, I added it to the buy order. All this for two commissions. Love them ARCA change orders.

#21     Jan 10, 2002
  2. Magna

Magna Administrator

Tony,

I had an order to buy at 48.21 and an order to sell at 48.72 and both were getting hit at the same time.

Not following, how did you manage to pull this off?! No matter where the market was at the time why would anyone possibly buy/sell to you at a price .51 away from where they needed to? And they did this repeatedly? :confused:

Please 'splain...

#22     Jan 10, 2002
  3. Commisso

Commisso Guest

Tony,

I second Magna's request... Thanks

PEACE and good trading,
    Commisso

#23     Jan 10, 2002
  4. Just think back to when you were buying and selling Redhat, or Linux, or any of the dotcom IPOs on their IPO days. Buy 1/2 above the offer (just to get in) and wham your filled 15 cents below the bid. Sell 1/4 below the bid (just to get out) and wham your filled 15 cents above the offer. Just hope you don't buy in one to many times.....ie become the bagholder. Ahh those were the days.

#24     Jan 10, 2002
  5. Hey Tony do you think it is possible for you to show us like one of your big losing trades or has that never occured

#25     Jan 10, 2002
  6. dozu888

dozu888

yup, those were the day!!!! I had at least 2 instances where my offers 2 POINTS above the market got hit, when COMS were in the $50 area.

#26     Jan 10, 2002
  7. TonyOz

TonyOz

This was the range I picked to place my orders at. Spread opens up afterhours and if there is enough action you can pull it off.

Let's say I was long 2000 shares and placed an order to buy 100 at 48.21 reserve 1500 and got filled on 300. At the same time have an order to sell 100 at 48.72 reserve 2000. I can get hit on both depending on the movement. I can right click and change order to move price up. For instance I got hit for 583 shares at 48.72 and I moved up my offer to 48.97 got hit there and moved offer up. stock ticks down, I move offer down. Let's say I sold a total of 3000 shares, now I can raise the size of my bid to 3000. That's basically how it went :) I think I did it for a total of 2200 shares on this action. Most of the money I've made was from the lower entries :)

Shortee,

I have been disclosing ALL my trades and positions since I was challeneged to do so (since the famous SEBL trade). I'm not hiding anything :)

Tony

PS, the drugs are getting me dizzy. Going to bed now.

#27     Jan 10, 2002
  8. oolarinm

oolarinm

Tony ,

would you say that the fact that you are carefree about the outcome of any particular trade without being reckless is the reason you pull off great trades? If the answer is yes , can you tell us why you think you are carefree about a trade . Thanks

#28     Jan 10, 2002
  9. TonyOz

TonyOz

I don't know about care free, but I know that I am not afraid to lose. For instance, I will be hosting two live trading sessions in NYC http://www.realtick.com/news/signup.asp (Disclosure: I'm not getting paid for it).

Although I cannot predict the outcome of these sessions, and I will be out of my "normal" trading environment, I can mentally do this because I truly am not afraid to lose.

I mentioned on Hitman's Journal thread that the force is with me. What I refer to as force is simply faith and confidence. I believe in myself, I believe in my trading ability, and I trust myself to execute trades accordingly. And I guess that the freedom I enjoy as a successful (financially secure) trader allows me to be selective and just as importantly objective when opportunity knocks on the door.

I also learned that creating opportunities is just as important. This is why I run RealTime scans. These scans help find opportunities that would be missed otherwise.

So what gives me the power or the force you may ask, and the answer is my track record. But just as important, I love what I do and am proud of what I do. And the last thing I worry about is my P&L. I just know that I am capable of trading successfully. I obey my bible (trading system), and the rest just takes care of itself.

One of the greatest things that my teaching seminars in the past provided me with is the opportunity to meet people who want to learn from me. I'd be telling a lie if I said that I don't absolutely dig it when my grandmother tells her friends that her grandson teaches doctors, lawyers, CPAs, rocket scientists etc. But it wasn't the ego trip that was great. It was the fact that I have learned so much about life from people with incredible intellect. And this is when I realized how big my gift was. I never felt that I was superior to the mechanic who was sitting in my classroom or inferior to the rocket scientist sitting next to him. I could literally carry an enjoyable conversation with both. And I always asked them questions about themselves, not because I was being nice, but because I wanted to learn about them.

So what is the gift? My gift is that I'm very comfortable in a wide variety of situations and in dealing with people. In other words, I completely trust myself to make the best out of any given situation. I believe in myself and know that I can do almost everything that my heart desires (at age 31, I still didn't make the NBA, but I keep trying :) .

I don't know much about motivational speakers, and I'm not trying to be one. But my grandmother taught me that I have the power over my choices.

As to the market, it is like music to me now. I watch my trading screen as if I was watching a musical on Broadway (not blue men :) ), and I always have a big smile on my face when I trade. I simply love it.

As to life, I wish there weren't as many distractions that take me away from the market. But my wife has put her time in and sacrificed numerous times, so I could be happy and have everything. Now, it's payback time. I have for the first time in my trading career made it a goal to trade only 6 out of 10 possible trading days. The rest of the time will be devoted to my family.

I'm sure it's more than you all wanted to hear, but finally I don't have fever and can write some of my thoughts down. I hope to get over this medical condition soon. In contrast to making the best out of every possible situation, I make a very lousy patient.

Trade Smart!

Tony

PS: Win size is all relative and so is position size. What may sound like a big number to some $6600 or whatever may be nothing significant to someone else. I mentioned before that my goal is to make 6K on average per trading day. I have access to a large account, so as you see it is all relative. A monster day for me is in six figures not four or low five.

PSS: someone asked about my losses. I have no problem admitting that in the past, I also lost over 100K in one day! Hopefully, it will Never happen again.

#29     Jan 11, 2002
  10. Amkeer

Amkeer

Good job Tony!!!!

Someday i will get to were you are in trading. I am only one year into trading and feel i started at the right time.

My goal also is to be able to spend more time with my wife and 3.5 year old daughter. To be able to do that means everything! trading is a good thing to get good at. right?

I know how it feels to get sick on a trip. We went skiing in Vermont and i caught i viral infection. My temperature was way up there around 104. You couldn't put enough blankets on me. To make matters worse there was blizzard conditions and no doctors at the resort. The pain! the temperature outside was 50 below with the wind chill.

Glad to hear your feeling better.

#30     Jan 11, 2002