My high school summer job: trading the NQ

Discussion in 'Journals' started by zdawg164, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Good. It means they're not whores who simply jump in the 'hottest' car on the lot, they go for good guys.

#31     Jul 5, 2008
  2. My kind of thread. I'm 20 and I plan to trade the NQ as well, in time. I'm not ready yet. You may have issues opening an account at your age, but i doubt it will be anything you cant get around. Futures are where its at for sure. I think the leverage aspect is scary to a lot of people, but I for one wouldnt have it any other way. Cant be any scarier than real estate where you can (or used to be able to) leverage $700,000 with $25,000. Shit keeps you up at night, I love it. Good luck on going live! Soon I will be trading with you (or against you), hopefully we won't blow our accounts. Where did you get the NT sim?

post a journal, i'd love to follow along :cool:

#32     Jul 5, 2008
  3. HSC.1775

HSC.1775

While I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor, trading on the NT sim is not “ultra realistic.” Check back after your first week, and I think you will be able to recognize what I mean.

#33     Jul 5, 2008

4. I would say nothing is realistic unless you are trading with REAL money, as that is the biggest factor in any decision making process usually.

#34     Jul 5, 2008
  5. well i don't want to sound like a shill but you might want to check out keystonetrading.com or a similar deal. If you have 4k you might actually be able to learn to trade, instead of blowing through your 2k in a week, which i hate to say is the most likely outcome of this. (speaking from experience)

#35     Jul 5, 2008

6. I know I'm a noob but how would he blow his whole acct trading intraday with 1 contract with tight stops in one week while only trading for 3 hours per day? I know its possible, but is it really that likely?

#36     Jul 5, 2008
  7. HSC.1775

HSC.1775

Yes. It is really is that likely.

#37     Jul 5, 2008
  8. 2k might be enough for 1 NQ if he was already an experienced profitable trader. It is abolutely not enough to learn on, unless he is either lucky or a genius trader or both. 6 tic stops are pretty tight, he'll need some precise entries to make that work.

Having said all that, I wish him the best of luck.

#38     Jul 5, 2008
  9. could you explain a little more? I see how he could lose money of course, but with the stops so tight wouldn't he have to have a large amount of losing trades in a row to blow the acct? Example if the stop is placed 2 points lower on one contract that is a loss of $40. If he's only trading one contract at a time that means he would have to have to be stopped out quite a few times(like 50) to blow through the 3,000 in a week. And he's only doing a couple round turns per day. I realize the nq is volatile and anything can happen, but do you see my point? I'm more curious than argumentative. Advice is appreciated.

#39     Jul 5, 2008
  10. Between the churn, slippage, commission and back & fill (which will blow him out of his tight stops and then move in the direction of the initial trade) his account will most likely be cut to ribbons.

#40     Jul 5, 2008