My high school summer job: trading the NQ

Discussion in 'Journals' started by zdawg164, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Well, this sucks guys, my mom (who is now in a process of divorce with my dad) has had enough of me loosing the money that I worked for a year for. In her opinion, most of this cash should go to my college fund. Anyways, she has threatened now to call my dad and tell him to close the account... and since she is a woman of her word, there is a chance that this will end up happening. :mad: :eek: :(

#241     Aug 14, 2008
  2. danielc1

danielc1

Your mother is a very, very, very, wise woman...

#242     Aug 14, 2008
  3. Son,

Every trader has watched a system lose. Congratulations on exercising the cojones to try, and to your dad for making it possible to learn what few learn after losing it all.

#243     Aug 14, 2008
  4. You are better off spending all your time watching and jotting down what you see. The more time you watch and learn, the better you can formulate a trading strategy down the road.

So get back to class :)

#244     Aug 14, 2008

5. haha IMHO college is kind of a crappy investment these days.

Anyways big deal bro, just sim trade. Whats the worst that could happen? You develop a system (while doing so lose no real money) that works and makes a shitload but you don't have the money to trade it? If that happened that would be a very good problem to have. This might be the best thing for you.

#245     Aug 14, 2008
  6. Well guys, it's been an exciting ride... when I told my friend about the $850 I lost, he told me he would have gone off the deep end, but amazingly, I don't know why I'm not as frustrated as I should be. I'm not even that mad that I lost that much $ (relative to the account) which I am actually finding odd. All my friends would have been furious.

For the next school year, I am going to be a junior. I haven't exactly gotten good grades yet, even though I could easily get them, I am very lazy. I need to cut the market out of my life until next summer when I turn 18, but definitely not do it during the school year; maybe sparingly paper trade.

I realized, to fully achieve my dream for multi millionaire heaven, the wisest thing to do is get good grades, and go to a good college, and go to a firm where I can play around with OTHER people's $$$.

I'm sure some of you will tell me that there have been cases where a guy didn't go to college took his little account and became a millionaire (a la tim sykes, without the after effects). I used to think that way too, but as you all know after my experience, it's easier said than done, which is why my focus on school is so important (plus the fact that I got a Jewish mother which just makes her press me harder).

Thanks for all the helpful advice from people who bothered to give me some exp. tips (bigjon in particular).

Anyways, I guess that's it for me for now. Next summer, I have to work countless hours during the school year to have made it all back, but I will do it only for the market. Until then, my focus will be what every teen should focus on: chicks + school.

And I will still monitor market news to keep up to date with the economic situation, I just won't (paper) trade any of it.

#246     Aug 15, 2008