My guess as to why traders fail

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shark, Mar 30, 2010.

1. shark

shark

Ever seen a nice trend just completely destroyed by a spike in the opposite direction for seemingly no reason? There's a reason to everything. Even if it's due to something irrelevant like a lunar eclipse in south korea. While the market will eventually price this in, it doesn't happen instantly. And by the time you and I get the news, thousands of other traders will also be getting the news who will subsequently act on it.

I know most of the people on this site can read a chart like a gypsy can read my palm, but I like a practical approach to these things.

#21     Mar 30, 2010
  2. shark

shark

You'll start caring when something else happens somewhere in the world the next second and the trend reverses.

#22     Mar 30, 2010
  3. schizo

schizo

Yes, forget the reasons. Just focus on and react to what's unfolding before your eyes. Thinking too much can hurt you in the long run.

This applies in real life as well. In times of a major catastrophe, you will hear time and time again from government bureaucrats that everything is in order and you have nothing to worry about. I say NEVER listen to those fools. Just minutes after the World Towers were struck by the hijacked planes on 9/11, the employees were reassured by the tower management that everything is okay and were told to return back to work. Had the morons told the workers to run out of the buildings, most of them would have been saved. Hence my suggestion: don't ever listen to the fools.

#23     Mar 30, 2010
  4. I would agree that newbies fail because they "buy the falling knife" or short strength thinking they can outlast the market --- however my experience with traders who are consistently green -- been at this game for long time --- fade market moves. granted however, they are considerably more profitable with a volatile market.

#24     Mar 30, 2010
  5. charts

charts

I think you're incorrect on this. The same piece of news has a different impact on price depending of where the market is in its cycling. Hence, you don't have to be much (if at all) aware of the news' content, but you should be aware of the scheduled time of important releases and their volatility impact (e.g. Fed's, company meetings, etc..). Keep it simple! ... :)

#25     Mar 30, 2010
  6. schizo

schizo

You just answered your own damn question. News is useless!!!

#26     Mar 30, 2010
  7. shark

shark

How did that imply that news is useless? when those thousands of traders get the news, they act on it and their actions are predictable. Therefore, one can trade anticipating those trades, and be in front of the trend that is created.

#27     Mar 30, 2010
  8. shark

shark

Right, the content isn't important. However, the effect on the market is very important, otherwise you get thrashed around for seemingly no reason. You may be trying to trade a trend and then suddenly the market goes in the opposite direction. This happens a lot, seeing as just about any type of news ripples through the market as a whole.

#28     Mar 30, 2010
  9. Redneck

Redneck

Umm - No Sir

RN

#29     Mar 30, 2010
  10. shark

shark

I agree. Reasons are not important, only the effect the news has on the market. However, isn't it a little bit difficult to accurately trade when lots of random, unexpected current events are unfolding? I like to call them miniature black swans, if that makes any sense.

#30     Mar 30, 2010