My growth has slowed since the beginning of the year

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Steven W, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Steven W

Steven W

7 out of 12 months have passed. My hot start has slowed down. If I extrapolate the data to a full year, I am on target to make 200k, and pay 50k in commissions and sec fees. Is the brokerage 25% cut too much in terms of being a successful trader? Daily, I have 60% losing trades with 40% winners. 40% winners usually cover all the losses for a daily profit. Last 60 days, without taking in account commission and sec and taf fees, I am profitable 57/60.

Am I trading too much? Not sure what metrics should I aim for as a long term goal. I am not sure if I am lucky or have skill at this point as this is a bull market and I usually long stocks. Should I be looking for another job and trade on the side or should I trade full-time? I feel like there is a lot of uncertainty

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. I am 44, athletic, have over 13 years of trading experience in professional settings and another 7 years trading independently. Can and should I become US president?

Problem: not enough information!

3. If you're on track to make 150 and your quality of life is improved or the same as working for someone else, then that's a metric you should look at as well.

Perhaps put daily market returns beside your daily returns and see if the absolute correlation is closer to 1 than zero. This will at least tell you whether you are dependent on the market performance for your returns and so whether you are lucky.

4. You sound like a catch, wanna date

dozu888 and GregorySG9 like this.
  5. themickey

themickey

santlot-kids.jpg

GRULSTMRNN and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  6. traider

traider

You can and you should!

dozu888 likes this.
  7. %%
    Its not luck. You have enough sense to trade trends/main trends LOL
    You dont seem to be trading too much. It is an unusual strong UPTREND/bull market+SPY ,QQQ most likely will finish 4th quarter strong.WHY?? Hirsch Stock Traders Almanac; Pre-election year.

NOT a prediction. BUT watch out , SteVe W, for the years that dont trend anywhere near this strong/%% up LOL.
    IF i understood you right, you are still doing well YTD[year to date] ??.IF your guts are really bothering you,now, some take off trading until SEPT. Wisdom is profitable to direct.:cool::cool:,:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

8. Steven W

Steven W

Thanks for being the only serious answer

9. ironchef

ironchef

1. It is the bull market and not your skill since you bet with the market. Don't confuse the bull market for skills.

2. Look for a day job and trade on the side until you are certain your skill is real.

How do I know? Been there done that.

10. ironchef

ironchef

Between your answer and mine, we got @Steven W covered. LOL, not a prediction.:p:p:p:p

#10     Jul 29, 2019