My goal is 15% a year... so what strategy?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by SuperBanda, Nov 30, 2006.

1. 4re

4re

I prefer buying. As long as you pick a stock that makes big moves and give yourself enough time it is fairly safe. That is why I like the Q's.

#21     Nov 30, 2006
  2. waxwing

waxwing

The first question you should ask yourself when entering any trade or investment is not "How much do I want to make?" but "How much am I prepared to lose?"
    A sensible discussion cannot start until you clarify that point.
    If you are not prepared to lose anything at all, then no investment is appropriate.
    If you are not prepared to lose more than 1% under any circumstances, then 15% might not be a realistic target.
    If you are prepared to lose 10% or more, your goal is too conservative :)
    The problem with most people (myself included) is they don't know their Uncle point until they hit it!

#22     Dec 2, 2006
  3. Waxwing love that advice that comes in at 3:23 in the morning! If you're like me certain stocks are afforded more wiggle room than others, if it's just another oil and gas play or bank stock I don't even let stagnation occur- if I'm bored I'm out. If I've wrapped my heart around some concept stock, I will absorb pain in a big way.. If it's a mo mo stock turned against me I'll bail quick because you never know how many sellers are out there... if it's a great idea gone bad I'll ride that bad bot to zero like an idiot-- Loral Space anyone?,....

#23     Dec 3, 2006
  4. swift011

swift011

start following Dow stocks on daily basis (as if day trading) to learn about individual stocks and their movements. When you see opportunity, buy or sell three to five stocks (to minimize risk) staying in position not more than 3days. You are looking for 30-50 cent movements here. You should make 1% a week easily.

#25     Dec 3, 2006
  5. You know swift011 brings up a great point, It's been so long I have forgotten. For my first eight years of trading all I ever traded were NYSE stocks! I didn't even open the second section of the business pages it was too much to take in. Then slowly it pulled at me and like a drug I've been trapped in it's hell of an inner sanctum ever since! NASDAQ once you go in you never get out!

#26     Dec 3, 2006
  6. LOL!!!

4re, you´re giving advice as saying, "doing some MSFT is a good safe way to make that amount. I prefer buying"

and swift011. so making 1% a week easily, in other words, being the all time #hedgefund manager ever, "easily"!!!

You guys must be joking. ROFL

#27     Dec 3, 2006
  7. tomjohn

tomjohn

Throw the goals out the window and just work every day like it was your last.

Don't count it up until the dealings done.

Sometimes you just sell it for a "feel good hit" and think about it tomorrow.

And don't ever go to bed with a loser that was suppose to be a winner.

good night, gracie.

#28     Dec 3, 2006
  8. Neet

Neet

Well, in his defense, hedge fund managers have a problem with liquidity.

Much easier to make 1% a week with 100k than with 100 million.

Food for though :)

#29     Dec 3, 2006
  9. 4re

4re

Well get your goofy ass off the floor and make a suggestion then.

Where in my post did you see MSFT? I use this the approach I mentioned on the Q's and has worked fine for years. Maybe it is slow but has worked for me.

#30     Dec 3, 2006