My Gmail account was hacked 6-10-11

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zr1Trader, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Google's two step verification looks promising. I just discovered it yesterday so haven't completely got my arms around exactly how it works just yet...

#11     Jun 11, 2011
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

Zr-1 trader, I'm sorry to hear this! I just changed my gmail password after reading this.

In addition, I received some emails from some Friends pointing out some new "stay at home business opportunity." When I emailed them back with wtf, they said, "I didn't send that!" Apparently gmail has had more hackings than google wants to admit.

Last, I'm not opposed to the death penalty for these little scumbag hackers!

#12     Jun 11, 2011
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

#13     Jun 11, 2011
  4. I have recently found a problem in a yahoo email account on my droid phone.
    While sending a message to a contact, I then noticed a large amount of unknown contacts in my personal contact list.
    This has just happened and I have no idea how these were attached to my personal list.
    Even on my phone I do not open anything unknown or attachments as jokes from people. I just delete that stuff.

To check elsewhere I opened the same email account on a laptop computer and found the contact email addresses were just my personal ones and not the large list as in the account from the cell.
    I deleted the mobile email accounts and reinstalled and for now anyway the problem cleared up.
    So a caution ....Be careful with mobile email accounts. You may unknowingly send personal info, accounts etc...

#14     Jun 11, 2011
  5. Any proof this was a hack?

#15     Jun 11, 2011
  6. ammo

ammo

the hackers are always busy,why wouldn't it be,like saying the mosquito bite was from a rare nonposoinous spider,couldn;t be a mosquito

#16     Jun 11, 2011
  7. Eight

Eight

That is a good thing, I just went through the process and have it in place... I guess if somebody hacks an account they can't change the password.

#17     Jun 11, 2011
  8. Recovered the account finally, no spam emails or anything like that occurred. I know that no body close to me reset the password because It even took me 5 times to remember all of the various info you need to recover the account, The automated recovery is VERY detailed like, "when did you sign up for gmail, when did you sign up for youtube, when did you sign up for google docs, what was your last known password, 5 email addresses that you have contacted the most, no one close to me knows those contact addresses so it had to be a bot of some sort hacking it. Anyway all is good now and I updated all of the security to the maximum. Will be purchasing a "Business only" computer this week.

#18     Jun 12, 2011
  9. Eight

Eight

I'd run the business only machine behind a whitelisting firewall actually. I've had a couple of commercial ones but now I've collected all the stuff to build a linux machine running ipcop... Windows for business, whitelisted and Apple for everything else is the road to computing happiness..

I had two very nearly identical windows computers, one was whitelisted, it just never, ever, ever had any problems at all, the other one had to have the OS reinstalled periodically...

#19     Jun 12, 2011