My first post on ET in 5 years. Has the signal-to-noise ratio improved here? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bluelou, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Turveyd

Turveyd

I see very few trading FX, although I trade a FX Spot account, haven't trading a FX in 6year, I'm NQ, ES, Dax, UK100, FX was good these days FX is just too slow most of the time, where as NQ your guaranteed pretty much action, first 2hours and last 2hours and sometimes all night.

just checked GPBUSD and Spread is 0.1pts which is TINY ( Maybe I get charged Comm's ?? demo account, yep 7cents so 1pt really cost, same as NQ )

#51     Jan 13, 2021
  2. bluelou

bluelou

FX is probably impossible without an edge. OTOH, with equities you've got a drift term as part of the process; that covers up a lot of b.s.

#52     Jan 13, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

20 years. Was an equity derivatives bank trader for 11, left to do something new and traded on the side for the last 9. All equity volatility.

I haven’t posted in the trading forums because there hasn’t been anything interesting there to talk about.

#53     Jan 13, 2021
    ironchef and bluelou like this.
  4. themickey

themickey

Most stocks/commodities/futures have a story attached, ie news of some sorts which has some significance to peoples lives.
    Fx traders should have nothing to talk about, it's just currency pair so just trade the goddam thing.
    But here on ET fx traders can talk shit until the cows come home about nothing - ("ooohhh lookee, it's gone up a tick").
    Unless it's USD index which has effects on commodity prices.

#54     Jan 13, 2021
  5. That's investing not trading. For everything else you need an edge.

#55     Jan 14, 2021
    bluelou likes this.
  6. I completely disagree with you. I trade every month around 800million usd notional equivalent on average and it is hard work to stay informed at all times. It is all about being informed about macro events, taking a view on the term structure of rates, global trade, regulation, sanctions, wars, agreements, where large option strikes lie, what large players are doing. In my opinion it is a way more complex but rewarding puzzle than following some company news.

#56     Jan 14, 2021
    themickey likes this.
  7. #57     Jan 14, 2021
    bluelou likes this.
  8. themickey

themickey

Ya, but you are prolly several rungs above the normal grade ET fx wannabee playing with a $20 account out of New Delhi. :)

#58     Jan 14, 2021
  9. Sure but I am also several rungs below many of the top dogs in terms of size.

#59     Jan 14, 2021
  10. themickey

themickey

I'm somewhere below the manhole cover on the ladder to the Top dogs but also I'm a happy enough little vegemite, wife hasn't sent me to the poorhouse yet with all her spending, even though she's trying hard enough :).

#60     Jan 14, 2021
    Snuskpelle likes this.