My Fed Lied To Me Today!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, Jun 25, 2008.

1. JA over at the Street is a good guy I felt bad for him when the greedy hoarmonger Kramer took over his best blogs recap which was fun to read when JA did it.

Anyway here's an interesting article with some names. I want to find out more about Premier Exhibit " owning the insurance policies " of the Titanic bodies??? is that possible so many years later???

By James Altucher
    Published: June 24

I hate my life. I’m stuck staring at this computer on a Saturday afternoon with the weather looking beautiful outside. There’s this humongous pink clock labelled “Financial Times” sitting on my desk, tick-tocking the seconds away. Shut up, clock!

My nine-year-old daughter wants to play tennis with me and I just told her to “get the hell out of my office and watch TV while I finish this important column”. It’s hard to be lovable. To not speak poorly about people behind their backs. To honour commitments and treat people with respect. To not cheat people out of their dignity. To avoid even the whitest of lies. Most people can’t do it.

Sometimes the best rewards come when you love people who are the most reviled and unloved. They will undoubtedly reward you with loyalty, friendship and gratitude. It reminds me of the internet bubble of 2002. When the arrogance was over and the egos had been reigned in, there were gems to be found. Valueclick, for instance, was trading below the cash it had in the bank. As was Thestreet.com (where I’m a shareholder). Both companies, and many others, rewarded their 2002 friends with returns ranging in the 1,000-3,000 per cent-plus band over the subsequent years.

So where can we befriend similar outcasts?

How about Premier Exhibitions? Among other things, it operates the “Bodies” exhibitions around the world, including New York city’s South Street Seaport. The exhibit is incredible and I highly recommend it. There is one small problem: the question of where the bodies came from. Andrew Cuomo, New York’s attorney-general, investigated and found Premier could not explain the cause of death or account for the origin of the bodies. Last month Mr Cuomo reached a settlement with the company to end its practice of “using bodies of undocumented origins” in its exhibitions.

Premier has a market capitalisation of $100m, $20m cash in the bank, and $17m in cash flows. “Bodies” is doing well and the company has other exhibits, including one about the Titanic. But here’s the kicker. It’s not just an exhibit – Premier owns the insurance policies of the 1,500 people who died in the tragedy. It is also excavating the bottom of the ocean to find items that belonged to passengers. The total recovery might be worth between $1bn and $3bn. So far it has recovered about $100m worth of property.

I went on Erin Burnett’s show on CNBC the other day and recommended Heelys, the company that makes the shoes with wheels. Revenues (and then the stock) plummeted 75 per cent when people realised they could get hurt on those things. Erin tried on a pair and realised that it’s pretty hard to skate. That was the first time she had ever tried them on and it took guts to risk her life on national television without practising first. I tried to buy a pair before the show but apparently the only group of people left who still want them are “men above the age of 30”, which includes me. I couldn’t find any. But so what?

The company is expanding internationally and introducing a new line of shoes without wheels to cater to the skateboard set. But I don’t care about that. What I like is that it has $100m in cash and a $100m market cap. So the company is free. I’ll take it. And while we’re at it, throw in Crocs, which trades at six times cash flows and is expanding internationally by 50-100 per cent a year over the next two years.

#11     Jun 26, 2008
  2. I'll hammer this out my mornings end but regarding NCOC this story was linked under that companies heading so I have to assume their are further comments about NCOC itself by this analyst.... but on coal in general...

Periodicals story about NCOC
    A slow permit process, not enough investment, and a lack of skilled workers means coal supplies will remain tight and prices up, reports the Wall Street Journal. Floods in the Midwest only add to the problem. "Despite the strong margins that coal companies are seeing, the supply response has so far been limited," says Paul Forward at Stifel, Nicolaus & Co. "I think it's probably a couple years worth of time where these markets stay tight."

#12     Jun 26, 2008
  3. On the analyst front- Names in the stoned universe

HOKU Sci... Cowan says 80% upside!

PTEC Re initiate at Needham I'm buying like this co very much.

OMTR JP Morgan raving...

here is an interesting rip from Digi Times-
    Innolux rumored to have secured touch panel orders from Apple
    Latest news
    DIGITIMES [Thursday 26 June 2008]

Innolux Display is said to have secured touch panel orders from Apple, with shipments slated to begin soon, according to industry sources.

Innolux did not respond to the speculation, but indicated that it expects to ship capacitive touch panels soon.

Innolux currently houses two production lines for capacitive touch panels, one in Taiwan and one in China. The one in Taiwan carries a capacity of 60,000 substrates per monthly while the China-fab has a capacity of 100,000 substrates.

Innolux indicated that it mainly produces capacitive touch panels at its China site. Most of the produced panels are for in-house use, but the company also plans to expand new lines. Glass substrate sizes at the new line are not yet finalized, the company added.

This would be bad for the touch players SYNA.... ~si

#13     Jun 26, 2008
  4. having trouble getting through to Taiwan to but Innolux believe it or not i don't have long distance phone service and my wife has the cell.... it was down 2.80 chopsticks yesterday....

Check out Yahoo! Finance Taiwan.
    At 1:30AM ET: 58.10 2.80 (4.60%) INNOLUX DISPLAY CO TWD10 (3481.TW)

#14     Jun 26, 2008
  5. Ok futures REALLY look bad and Europe is a swath of red. Today is the washout that often comes at the beginning of an Eliot Wave advance. Since we were smart enough to be in heavy cash leading into June 6th's 400 pt free fall but dumb enough to invest heavily after that based on 20 week cycle theory... all of this should be taken with a grain or two of vodka but here are TWELVE names I am looking at today.

NCOC
    SNV
    PTEC
    GPN
    LUX
    JNS
    VISN
    MBI
    DUG
    OMTR
    HOKU
    KOG

.... As well if you don't own ZOLT I certainly would you will be buying it very cheap and on support and wind names should work today.

..... APWR I missed that one with a limit order that didn't get hit, stronger name if you can't take the SEC investigation of ZOLT. (I see that as a catalyst ironically when the admit no wrong doing and pay a fine as most of these companies wind up doing)

.... GEOI is a monster player in the Bekkan area they are providing an update today which should be rosy. daytraders will want to follow this one as $1 gains become $2 gains in the blink of an eye.~ si

#15     Jun 26, 2008
  6. Folks I'm going to have to leave my chair soon. the workmen are staring in the window and sitting here in a towel trading stocks looks much dirtier than it is.

I wanted to add one last thing which is using the market to your advantage. And what you hope for is a great name to have some not aggressive movement due to overall market conditions... then when the turn comes you are sitting on a fountain.... I think CAPSTONE qualifies. We brought this to you in the low $3's along with CEGE as our two low priced stocks thread. If you like chart reading, how you cannot get excited about this name? I live in fear of checking the quotes so I don't punch up CEGE and if you know I don't want to know... in my mind everything is still north of $3.... With the positive news it can't just be an upgrade it has to include a fundamental shift in the co... andf i think we might have that today courtesy of Broadpoint- Broadpoint initiates Capstone Turbine (CPST) with a Buy, as they believe the launch of larger microturbine systems have the potential to be a game changer for the co, tripling the size of CPST's addressable market.... I've been thinking about small farms and weekend houses and how to use these turbines in the future.... but if you can triple the market share by going big, I say GE or CAT will come a calling. Capstone may be worth your time today.

Well that's it. There is a lot of good info and great stock ideas in this thread. Pound for pound I don't see where there is better content then right here right now. Once again I have no idea how these stars work, I just have Smilies, but if you all like the stoned investors well thought out ramblings, perhaps more so than back and forth bitching and posers, then drop me a third star. Geez. ~ stoney

#16     Jun 26, 2008
  7. HERE ARE MY FINAL BUYS FOR THE SUMMER.

THESE ARE DONE IN SIZE 1000 or 2000 shares of each. JAH be with me. the stks are.

SNV- I did it! I bought a financial stock!!!!! I feel sick... look at that June 18 print $8.80 look at June 20 $8.80 look at today right around there, it's a bet on a triple bottom, it's a bet on big insider buying, it's a bet on a 62 million share short position, 19% of the float, it's a 1 year hold with 7% dividend. It's a bet.

GEOY- I have been desk humping this name since LAST SUMMER. They have been a tough stk to crack but no one denies if they get their bird up in August the stk will be severely UNERVALUED. My own work shows a double about $27- $33 range.... so @ $17 where it's built a frustrating fake break out base and with the prompting of a JP Morgan Upgrade a day or so ago into this messy market, I'm stepping in.

PTEC- Barrons ran a real nice piece on this stk Eric Savage I believe at $15. I've watched it ever since all the way down to $10.50 I believe it has based here and will go back to $15.

So there you have it. Within the confines of my system I was able to buy three cheap stocks today yet they are all kind of sexy in their own way.
    'Cheap and Sexy Summer 08' It has a ring. I hope my wife complies. Let's check back in late August and see how we do and between now and then drink 1000 beers.

Cheers. ~ stoney :cool:

#17     Jun 26, 2008