My Experience With Interactive Brokers

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by dimmi, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

Assuming you have your stop trigger set to last price, then we will look at the traded prices reported. When a trade is done at or below your stop price in the case of a sell stop, we will send in an order to the exchange. This order type depends on what the exchange supports.

You can get the time and sales on the TWS. Quickest way would be from the chart. Look for the time of the execution that triggers your stop and then compare that to the time of your execution (you can find the time of your execution on your statement). If you have access to Bloomberg you can also get the time and sales there, using the QR function.

If you find that the fill was immediate then your slippage was due to market conditions and not due to any delay with IB.

Perhaps you can post your results in the following table:
    10th March, ZW
    Stop Triggered at: HH:MM:SS
    Trade Executed at: HH:MM:SS

19th May, KC

5th June

#31     Jun 12, 2008
  2. Tums

Tums

No need to make demands.

Last time I called to inquire, the CS read out the T&S and my trade log to me over the phone.
    This was done on the spot, with no waiting, no ifs, no maybes, no callbacks.
    Everything was verified to my satisfaction before she hung up.

These people are professionals. They deal with customer issues day in and day out. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing a customer's problem solved. (and of course, your positive post-service evaluation helps too.)

p.s. This was with the Hong Kong office.

#32     Jun 12, 2008
  3. I think the mods got sick of deleting my posts suggesting an alternative title that suitably denigrated the OP's intelligence.

Tums you're right. I had one I found hard to believe and although they couldn't give it to me immediately I left my email address and it was on my pc 30 minutes later. Sweet as apple pie :)

#33     Jun 12, 2008
  4. dimmi

dimmi

Not quick for me, sorry.

I had TWS up and the chart/time & sales.

In the T&S I had to go back many hours.. after clicking previous quite a few times the screen goes blank. During this time, no other chart will load on TWS (it just has loading at the top). Let it sit about 10mins and the data comes back. This will repeat again (and again).

I have TWS installed on my computer. I also tried loading a fresh version from the IB homepage, as well as TWS Beta. They all do the same thing.

This is by no means 'quick'.

Quad core CPU and 4gb ram.. I don't think it's my PC. By all means tell me the solution to fix the problem.

#34     Jun 12, 2008
  5. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

If you've already closed your account then it maybe difficult to find the time and sales. Assuming you have access to another account, lets take say SIN8. Bring up the chart, your issue was on 5th June, so bring up a 2 week chart. Click on Time and Sales icon, go to the bar which corresponds to the time of your execution. This one is dead easy to spot as it's the only time in the day the contract traded through your stop and spiked down, so I can assist with completing the chart.

5th June, SIN8
    Stop Triggered at: 08:18:42
    Trade Executed at: 08:18:42

#35     Jun 12, 2008
  6. zdreg

zdreg

dimmi- "I have now closed my account and am looking to go somewhere else.. perhaps Alaron."

because of the times we live in closing an account is not the best move.
    in many cases it is a pain to open new accounts. keep all existing accounts open even if u don't use them.your opinion may change in the future.

some of the responses on this thread are cheerleading by the usual group.
    ignore the not so subtle insults. there are tidbits of useful information in between the insults.

#36     Jun 12, 2008
  7. But, zdreg, I am certain that you will (fail to) agree with the correct view: the subtle insults are, as usual, totally justified.

#37     Jun 12, 2008
  8. zdreg

zdreg

kiwi if the shoe fits wear it. by putting (failing to)shows that u are looking to huff and puff.

#38     Jun 12, 2008
  9. zdreg

zdreg

rockford- " Most, though not all of the accusations against IB on EliteTrader, in my experience, come from people who have no idea what they are doing or what their broker is doing.

Just sharing my experiences."

that is like saying the sun rises in the morning.
    people who have skills in dealing with bureaucracies or have deep knowledge will rarely post complaints. they accept and move on to the next trade.

#39     Jun 12, 2008
  10. dimmi

dimmi

Hi,

Yes I had noticed that there were (some of) the usual fan-bois involved.

Thanks for the advice.

I have had other messages of support, especially in regards to the customer service at IB which I used to think was good - but my recent experiences have been rather frustrating. And it was nothing to do with my trades.

Cheers.

#40     Jun 12, 2008