My computer is a piece of sh*t!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cashmoney69, Apr 20, 2007.

1. TOM134

TOM134

#11     Apr 20, 2007

2. http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144_4-10634975.html?tag=lst-0-1

CCleaner - just found it works great to clean out crap.

#12     Apr 20, 2007
  3. Be careful with CCleaner-I use it, but very carefully. For over a year I deleted after using it without backing up and problems and then BAM! part of my OS is missing next day. Not happy! :mad: Ask gnome he had to counsel me. :D

If the above solutions don't fix a reformat should right, albeit lengthy.

#13     Apr 20, 2007
  4. If you havent reinstalled your o/s in a while , few years , you might just want to blow out the drive and start from scratch , time consuming i know but a clean install is nice to have every once inawhile jake

#14     Apr 20, 2007
  5. Aw jeez...
    no anti-virus, no spyware, no adware...it's all shit...absolute shit..

Just do the simple, painful, time consuming REFORMAT.
    Make sure you have backed up everything important, either onto a DVD, or 2nd hard drive...and REFORMAT YOUR DRIVE.

Reinstall everything that you need. nothing that you don't.
    It's good for your system...

#15     Apr 20, 2007
  6. Update your windows with Windows Update immediately after the fresh installation; and repeat the process every 6 month; if you use this computer other than single task of trading.

I recommend people buy a back up system; just in case; or surfing internet and gaming at different computer.

#16     Apr 20, 2007
  7. Be sure to backup and reinstall those XL files with the virus and your bookmarked sites, in particular the ones that require java applets. Don't forget that video from the Sony site (the originators of Rootkit), and really important you remember the installer file for programX versionY, the one that inadvertently contains the custom blahblah.dll file. No need to worry about email though, yahoo says its safe. Just be sure you don't reinstall anything you don't need.

Shit or not, internet users need to use certain tools regularly. Reformatting is not a solution for repeated stupidity.

#17     Apr 20, 2007
  8. GTS

GTS

LOL - good point.

Whenever I see someone attach an Excel or Word document to a post here I cringe because I know a lot of folks will readily download and open it without a second thought.

And while I'm sure 99.9% of the time that's fine, with the number of vulnerabilities/exploits that have been found in MSOffice documents (and who knows how many more exploits that havent been made public) it should make anyone stop and think before they open a document from a perfect stranger, especially if they are doing it from a PC that they trade from.

#18     Apr 20, 2007
  9. Wow, that has to be the dumbest advice I have seen on ET recently. Let me know where to send the booby prize. Good job. :p

#19     Apr 20, 2007
  10. Actually, reformatting is a solution for repeated stupidity. Its related to sensible precautions in the same was as abortion to birth control. A bit drastic and hard on the person but it will even resolve the issues that sensible precautions fail to prevent.

Here's a trick though. When you reformat and rebuild your system ... take an image of it using something like ghost or driveimageXML ... then you can reinstall in 20 minutes.

#20     Apr 20, 2007