My China Thesis Entitled... The Biggest Lie Ever Told

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Stockolio, Apr 8, 2019.

1. OMG, have you lived in Asia? Do you have any clue at all what you are talking about? Apparently not. How about you first work on your English before you try to school others. CCP can do anything it pleases, adjust reserve rates, prime rates, inject money, even transfer money across different state owned entities if need be. You have zero understanding how China works. How about you get your lazy butt over to HK and I treat you for beers and tell you how economics work here. Schmuck.

Edit: and please stop jumping all over the place focus on a single issue else you come across simply as someone who read a few articles and reports and has very little in terms of making his own case. Your entire premise on the salary issue is flawed. Yes labor intensive jobs have started moving to Thailand and Pakistan and Bangladesh over the past years towards Africa even. But China is hiring engineers and deep learning researchers, medical professionals in record numbers. In short, China is moving up the sophistication ladder in almost every industrial sector. The salary paid for a data researcher is a fraction of the cost one has to pay in the US or other western nations while the skill and educational level is equal in those higher sophistication jobs. But that is just an aside as you chose to shift topics. The main topic here set out by yourself, is debt levels of corporate entities. And I claim you do not understand how corporate finance works in China.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    #21     Apr 9, 2019
    yc47ib likes this.
  2. Bollocks, China Huarong is a bad asset bank that was exactly designed for that purpose in the precise same manner as when Japan set up a bad asset bank to hold defaulting or close to defaulting loan portfolios. Also this specific company was riddled with corruption and hence using it as a generalization is total nonsense.

#22     Apr 9, 2019
  3. ironchef

ironchef

You should reread the thread on MMT.

No worry, MMT to the rescue. :D:D:D

#23     Apr 9, 2019
  4. ironchef

ironchef

#24     Apr 9, 2019
  5. Like the rest of the cpp economy... Debt then bankruptcy!

There was a rush of bike sharing start ups years ago, when the VC seen was on fire in Shenzhen. They had FOMO and just dumped money into them, after a while they all went bust, VC's got burned, and it led to the creation of Bike Cemeteries

#25     Apr 9, 2019
  6. destriero

destriero

Mobike equates each bike produced to a customer. Hence the 1.2 million Mobikes littering the streets of Shanghai.

#26     Apr 9, 2019
  7. Bike sharing in HK works for a few years now. Last I checked HK is part of China. Can't speak for mainland cities though re bike sharing but your generalizations make little to no sense. I think it's a stupid business model but it somewhat survived in HK till now, not thriving but nowhere here are bikes dumped anywhere.

So, now you talk bikes? Care to respond to those who made the effort to respond to your claims or are you just here to agitate and accuse?

#27     Apr 9, 2019
  8. luisHK

luisHK

It seems they invest the money customers pay as a deposit when they register for the service, I suspect leverage it quite a bit. Saw on the english language Shenzhen newspaper customers were struggling to get the funds back from some operators.
    Investors are huge companies, from memory Aliaba and Tencent invested large amounts in rival bike sharing companies, there must be more to the business model than investing teh deposit, I never tried the bikes but heard the rental is quite cheap, not sure how many rentals are needed to cover the costs of 1 bike. One must know in China at least in tier 1 cities it is quite difficult to get a car and there are lots of restrictions on 2 wheelers, so there is much demand for bikes although the traffic there is quite unsafe for bicycles, and more generally very unfriendly.
    An article from last year (I just had a quick look so far, not sure how interesting).

https://www.scmp.com/tech/enterpris...-beating-mobike-and-ofo-chinas-smaller-cities

#28     Apr 9, 2019
    ironchef likes this.
  9. yc47ib

yc47ib

As a Chinese descendant who has traveled between China and the US for the past decade and half, constantly finding and predicting the fall of China, I finally gave up in 2016 and came back to the US. Yet, China is still standing there and with all my friends richer. It is me who is struggling financially......

#29     Apr 13, 2019
  10. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Banking_Liquidity_Crisis_of_2013

#30     Apr 13, 2019