My bond strategy...Does this make sense??

Discussion in 'Fixed Income' started by Cabin1111, May 1, 2024.

1. %%
    1]Good , I also like some SCHW money market; I read everything she is in + buying.
    And some SPY + related , 2024. Good private sector income .
    2] I like some SPY +occasional QQQ , SH + related..... , has more risk + reward, than fixed income .
    LIKE Forbes magazine motto notes ''With all thy getting, get understanding'' [Proverbs 4]
    And like the SCHW warning notes, '' SH= NoT suitable for most investors:caution:''

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    #11     May 2, 2024
    countryBoy641 likes this.
  2. traderjo

traderjo

Do you consider BOXX?

#12     May 16, 2024
  3. BKR88

BKR88

I have a small position in BOXX but not as comfortable with the risk as with US treasury ETFs.
    From what I've read, the risk is small but anything based upon equities is more risky than US treasuries IMO especially when options are involved but I could be wrong.

Counterparty risk is the concern but I split my cash reserves with SGOV/TFLO/USFR/CLIP/BIL/XBIL for the same reason.

#13     May 16, 2024
  4. traderjo

traderjo

so would this be correct to say
    1) although BOXX and SGOV mimic the Treasury Bill returns + a bit?
    the risk with BOXX is they use BOX options on SPX where as SGOV/ TFLO uses direct investment in treasury bills?
    In both cases teh ETF coudl do fraud but in case of BOXX there are additional strategy execution risk?
    2) Then why not purchase treasury bill direct?

#14     May 16, 2024
  5. BKR88

BKR88

I’m not knowledgeable enough in this area which is probably why I’m hesitant to put too much in BOXX.

I purchased some treasuries directly also but it’s not as flexible as treasury ETFs since it’s better to hold to maturity so can’t convert to cash quickly if needed.
    I’ll use this cash for making farmland purchases & certain stocks if they fall hard for some reason so need it readily available.

#15     May 16, 2024
  6. mbquant

mbquant

Sounds good!

But you might just have to take care of two potential downsides:

1. Opportunity cost:
    While the current yields are attractive, you might miss out on potentially higher returns if the market shifts and interest rates start to decline.
    2. Reinvestment risk: As your shorter-term bonds mature, you'll need to reinvest the proceeds. If interest rates have declined by then, you might have to accept lower yields on your reinvested funds.

#16     Jun 3, 2024
  7. Except that if interest rates are falling he'll want to get into stocks anyways.
    To me, locking up you money in long term bonds when the yield curve is inverted is ridiculous.
    https://www.ustreasuryyieldcurve.com/b/NUbyby
    It amazes me to see so called professionals still talking about things like bond ladders in the current environment.

Or you could miss only on an almost 50% loss if markets revert to a more sensible PE ratio. When you can beat a PE ratio of 20 essentially risk free with bonds, a PE of about 30 for the sp500 is not that attractive.
    https://www.multpl.com/s-p-500-pe-ratio

#17     Jun 5, 2024