My Big Fat Greek Funeral: How Many PIIGS Will Survive?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by shortie, Jun 17, 2011.

How Many PIIGS Will Default?

1. At least 1 of Little PIIGS (Greece, Portugal or Ireland)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. 2-3 Little PIIGS (Greece, Portugal or Ireland)

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. At least 1 of Big PIIGS (Spain or Italy)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. All Will Default

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  5. No One Will Default

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. LeeD

LeeD

It was a good start. It's not even Sunday yet and the thread is already on its 4rth page.

#21     Jun 18, 2011
  2. Locutus

Locutus

None are likely to default within the next 3 years (I mean, I can't look beyond that and if they do outside of that kind of timeframe it won't be for the reasons on the table now).

You have to factor the cost of a default versus the cost of keeping the system running. Obviously you could argue about long-term costs and whatever about keeping a broken system running (and I don't really personally have an opinion about that, it could be true but it probably isn't), but since people aren't convinced that everything is FUBAR the perceived cost of keeping the system running (bailing out Greece and any country that needs it and doing so until they get their fiscal house in order even if it means not seeing 50% or more back of the loans) is much lower than facing another Lehman style crisis.

Of course, in more than a few years years, we'll be back here if the fiscal are not fixed in the meantime (I hope and pray they will be) and then a real crisis might unfold. Right now there is enough willingness to support and the markets will not lose confidence in Eurozone debt from this situation.

#22     Jun 18, 2011
  3. If Turkey were invaded from the rear do you think Greece would help?

#23     Jun 18, 2011
  4. LeeD

LeeD

Aren't Greece and Turkey still in the state of war over Cyprus?

#24     Jun 18, 2011
  5. zdreg

zdreg

suppose I was holding a credit default swap on one of the piig government bonds is the lengthening of maturity an event deemed
    to be a default. if the answer is yes I would collect immediately the amount for which I was insured for. If so some banks or insurance or other entity who issued these CDS would take a big hit against capital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_default_swap

#25     Jun 19, 2011
  6. AK100

AK100

The Euro governments are all excelling at what politicians excel at, ie

1) Talking
    2) More talk
    3) Scheduling yet more meetings with of course plenty of more talk, and last but not least
    2) A load of dithering

Guys, there's no real plan to sort this mess out, just more talk and more dithering. If you look closely at what's happening the markets are getting nearer and nearer to forcing the politicians to do something, that's the only time they actually do anything.

So expect yet more talk next week with little action. But the markets have turned up the heat on the stove and the pot is starting to really bubble, give the markets another 4 weeks max and they'll have the bot boiling - AND THAT'S WHEN SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN.

Of course, the fact the politicians have left the pot bubbling so long means, as every cook/chef knows, that when the pot boils over it makes a real mess of your stove and is somewhat uncontrolable.

Or to put it another way - it's going to get messy........

#26     Jun 19, 2011
  7. Yes. The euro will skyrocket. Mock my words.

Banks will pull out liquidity like crazy, you'll have a euro crisis, no supply, just demand. It will bring non-euro economies in europe to their knees due to the ultra expensive euro.

This will create a gold sell-off to get cash from which the imf will collect cheap gold and we"ll probably have another gold standard for a few decades or so.

Winners: imf/central banks.

#27     Jun 19, 2011
  8. Best bet for the upcoming joke:

Long eur
    Short gold
    Short all european indexes
    Long crude

I'd start loading on options slowly starting on monday.

#28     Jun 19, 2011
  9. Ah, and the next best thing after you have a new gold standard? A single currency for the entire developed world.

#29     Jun 19, 2011
  10. zdreg

zdreg

there will be a world currency which will act like the euro.
    lots of luck.

#30     Jun 19, 2011