My back-testing is too good to be true. What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by TradeSparrow, Dec 5, 2010.

1. 2k per year - not too shabby if PAL can do even half of what the devs say it can. After my first successful year, I ought to check it out.

#51     Dec 11, 2010
  2. Actually, I think, it is 2k per 2 years.

I got very good results for CBOT Corn although not enough long patterns. I am running the search with different R:R values to see how the pattern population distribution changes, long versus short.

I think I will start trading grains next week.

#52     Dec 11, 2010
  3. dave4532

dave4532

Very impressive analysis. Can you repeat the analysis for energy futures in the other thread?

#53     Dec 12, 2010
  4. ===============
    Trade sparrow.
    Spectacular sheet[paper] results???????;
    let me comment instead ,on number 1 & number 6.

Number 1/ema, is a good place to start & camp;
    dont use the histogram much myself but ema, multiple ma[which is mostly what a MACD is], IS quite helpful .

So good work on that number 1/ema & multiple mas;
    not that 2003[or any one year means much.................................]

While i may not usually buy @ historic highs[hopefully I am in already,LOL] or sell lowest of lows[historic]. Number 1 of yours is much likely to be more helpful than number 6.
    Ever looked @ many, many long term charts???????Lower lows are classic bear trend..............................................

Higher highs are classic upTrend;
    so study ALL the data years, months, days, years, decades ,
    ema, multiple ma.....................................................................

Frankly what i wrote can include some high probabilities of making money [ cash markets]but leverage changes everything, in any market. Good points on number 1 -EMA.............................

Moving averages tell many things, including ;
    underline or overline price.

:cool:

#54     Dec 13, 2010
  5. I was analyzing crude over the weekend. I will post some results in the energy futures section. Here are results for Corn:

target stop #patterns long/short
    5 5 104 4/100
    8 8 227 8/219
    10 10 204 10/194
    15 15 98 20/78
    20 20 99 11/80
    30 30 104 1/103

It appears that around 15 to 20 points is the optimum target/stop range. Here is a pic of the results for 20 target and stop:

[​IMG]

What does this mean and why doing this analysis? It means that any long position trades outside of the range 10 - 20 points for target stop have basically very low probabiity of win and at the same time these results show that this market is better suited for short only systems for position trading despite the occassional rallies. The sample of trades is large enough to support these conclusions

#55     Dec 14, 2010
  6. dave4532

dave4532

Thank you for sharing the results of this very impressive analysis.

#56     Dec 15, 2010
  7. bone

bone

Thanks to the OP and all the participants to this informative and civil discourse.

#57     Dec 15, 2010

8. Thanks for the advice. I agree that all-time highs and lows are much less useful. However, zooming out on a daily chart so I can see the major highs and lows is very helpful, at least for me.

And of course, EMAs rock. :cool:

Cheers. Thanks everyone! This thread has given me some confidence that I am not doing something horribly, blatantly wrong. Maybe I still am, but we'll see.

As for forward testing in Wheat, between 12/10 and today, I have $1500 at my take-profit level, but I'm still bearish, so I am still short. 15% in one week is not half-bad, I'd say.

If I make it big, maybe I'll travel around a bit and buy you all drinks. :p

#58     Dec 17, 2010
  9. Samsara

Samsara

Congrats. Good to see some success.

#59     Dec 17, 2010