My Automated Trading Strategy (3Years+ of Historical Data) Please Critique!

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by julian0625, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Please kindly remove yourself from this thread. I would prefer not to have jealousy fueled comments plaguing the conversation.

It is ILLEGAL for me to seek capital through 3rd party sources, unless I fill out some expensive paperwork for a hedge fund.

At this point it may not even be a hedge fund, as I am still in the decision process.

At what point did I state I was a vendor? :confused:

You insulted me with your last comment. The last thing I ever want to do in life is hurt somebody in life for my gain. You may argue that is true capitalism, yet through the stock market, usually the money I would be taking from would be people who at least have enough money to trade, or preferable the big banks.

My ultimate goal in life is to give back 99% of the wealth I hopefully will amass. I believe its the most important thing to do when your rich. I believe its an obligation especially in the system we live in today.

#131     Jul 24, 2011
  2. TBH I hope in a few years I will not be focusing much on automated strategies, but more my discretionary approach. I am much more confident with my discretionary abilities.

To answer your question, I can probably scale up to 50 contracts without eliminating my edge, which is definitely not scalable over a 10million AUM fund. So hopefully at that point, if I do go with a hedge fund process, I will be known in the industry, and I will be more flexible to trade other strategies.

#132     Jul 24, 2011
  3. #133     Aug 21, 2012
  4. LMAO

(this was for tradeslayer, not the op)

#134     Aug 21, 2012
  5. piezoe

piezoe

Good for you Julian. Keep learning. Stay dedicated. Ignore the negative comments/ Ultimately you have to test your ATS on live data with real money. But you are amazing for your age, and I am very impressed.

Early on there was some concern about simulated fills with regard to your first system. There was a general consensus that that system could not make money in real trading.

Now you've gone much further and your results show some promise of eventual success. But let me remind you of those earlier concerns regarding simulated fills. Those concerns are always there. I have yet to see a really good simulated fill engine on any mainstream commercial trading platform --but I haven't seen them all by any means. I can tell you that the worst fill engines buy at the bid and sell at the ask-- the exact opposite of real life for most retail trades. In testing an ATS, always confirm that you are getting realistic fills. That is, if you are buying, make sure the bid moves down through your limit price before your simulated order fills. Vice versa for sell orders of course.

Good luck to you. You're going to be a great trader someday, and probably at a surprisingly young age.

#135     Aug 24, 2012