My account value reaches $600,000 for the first time; launching incubator hedge fund

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lazar206, Jan 31, 2011.

1. "After hours and weekends" sessions would be better spent on research and development. But to each his own.

#51     Feb 8, 2011
  2. Buy and hold is a scary strategy. I noticed that you did not respond on what your correlation to the market was. Perhaps your returns were due mostly to beta rather than alpha? I learned the hard way that strategies that can make money exceptionally fast may also lose it exceptionally fast, even if that was not yet seen in backtesting or live trading.

And the qualities necessary to succeed in trading are very different than those necessary to launch a hedge fund. Given your returns and account size you could make a very nice living just trading, even if your future performance is less.

#52     Feb 9, 2011
  3. lazar206

lazar206

My focus for the last 2 years was, to buildup my account value with limited risk. My goal has been, and still is to be able to get annual decent returns over the long term no matter which side the market goes. There will always be drawdown’s when the market tanks and goes into panic, but it’s the performance from quarter to quarter and year over year that I am most concerned about, and with that I have been very successful.

#53     Feb 10, 2011
  4. I think you should go the fee-only RIA route. Nobody is going to be interested in a (sic) diversified buy-and-hold hedge fund.

#54     Feb 10, 2011
  5. So you went long Apple hugh ?!

#55     Feb 10, 2011
  6. lazar206

lazar206

Yes , Apple is currently around a 0.33 of a percent of my portfolio.. (2k out of 600k).

#56     Feb 13, 2011
  7. 2k will buy you 5 shares of AAPL nowadays:)

#57     Feb 14, 2011
  8. You can't be serious. You bought 5 or 6 shares?

#58     Feb 14, 2011
  9. Have you traded during a bear market? If not, then does your strategy have techniques for avoiding major losses during one? What is your expected performance if the S&P falls 30%, or 60%?

#59     Feb 14, 2011
  10. lazar206

lazar206

I bought 20 shares of apple last year for $258 each, since Steve Jobs has left because of an “undisclosed” medical condition I felt the stock is becoming more of a gamble, I sold most of the positions for $337. I still hold 6 shares.

#60     Feb 14, 2011