my 1st protege

Discussion in 'Journals' started by dumb_mother, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

Is that Sept 28th? Today is the 27th. And what happened? Looks like the biggest loss to date...

#11     Sep 27, 2011
  2. well that was yesterday, i'm not sure why the date is wrong i just copy / pasted from what he sent me. he also lost money today (as did i) from the zb just being crazy weak relative to everything else and not retracing the dislocation at all. these days w/big one way moves w/out much retrace aren't the most friendly to the trading style we employ. it's nice that it doesn't happen all that frequently over the long run.

#12     Sep 27, 2011
  3. drm7

drm7

Are you trading futures or options spreads (or both)?

What platform do you use? (Xtrader, CQG, etc.)

#13     Sep 27, 2011
  4. xtrader just futures, but the entire curve

#14     Sep 27, 2011
  5. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Interesting thread, keep it going.:)

#15     Sep 28, 2011
  6. 29-Sep 78 -$5,312.50
    30-Sep 154 $1,723.56

dates still off but i'm just cut / pasting still- too bad for that fy auction, it stole half the day with that ensuing unrelenting rally in the zf- through the end of the month i'll post $ amounts but then starting next month i'll just post everything in dvar instead as that is what i record for my own records since it shows relative performance.

#16     Sep 28, 2011
  7. his losses are way too big. if I had to guess, he must be doing some averaging down RTM.......... win 5 days in a row and blow it all in one day.......it's the most distressful way to trade, and frankly it's no way to trade. everyone who does this eventually gives up. it's gotta go, or it's gotta change. I did it myself past august. it was disgusting.

#17     Sep 28, 2011
  8. i disagree- the problem is that he isn't making enough on his winning days- he'll see 3 opportunities and only act on 1. we all get screwed when the bad trades come because they are available to put on for so long it's hard to avoid them, the key is acting on all of the good ones in between. all of his winners have been about half of what they should have been so far and he's still only down a couple grand or so.

for my personal style my winning days are, in general, no less than 1/4 of what i'm willing to lose and my better average winners are closer to 1/2-2/3 with hopefully at least one day each month making what i'm willing to lose in a day.

#18     Sep 28, 2011
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

That's what I thought too. He had back to back 2 biggest loser days.

Also, when dumbmother was on vacation he should have either papertraded, or traded with minimal amount to see how he is doing without the mentor... The true test of mentorship....

#19     Sep 28, 2011
  10. i don't really give him advice on each trade to enter, i've already taught him the general strategy- now he has all the rope he needs to hang himself. generally now he just runs a basic plan by me to make sure he's not doing something terribly stupid, but i generally just tell him to do whatever he wants because i hope he finds ways of slightly innovating the strategy to become more effective that i haven't noticed yet.

he didn't trade while i was gone because he's only been trading for a week- call me foolish, but i don't feel like putting my own capital at risk w/out a little bit of oversight for the first little bit. in a few months i'd have let him trade while i was gone. (and we all know the value of paper trading (which he did while i was gone) = worthless)

#20     Sep 28, 2011