My 1st day trading futures

Discussion in 'Trading' started by cashmoney69, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Tums

Tums

1. Sim? Coming from him, why is this a surprise?

2. Disclosure? Sure he did. It is written right on the attachment.

#11     Dec 14, 2007
  2. Normally I catch something like that and call the person out, must be slipping in my old age :)

Acerbits was on point there.

#12     Dec 14, 2007
  3. The shorter the time frame, the less helpful SIM is. For intraday swing trading, I'm sure its not a big deal the speed of SIM vrs live mkt but for scalping and short holding periods, it makes a HUGE difference. You'll see :)

#13     Dec 14, 2007
  4. when i was day trading on paper the platform was just as fast as the actual market..only difference was I didnt understand the commission structure.

If they're going to SLOW down the sim, then TELL people that!...only reason I can think of why they wouldnt is so they can rob people of their money after the poor trader realize what they got themselves into. Thanks for telling me.

#14     Dec 14, 2007
  5. What do you think is the actual 'real market" ??? If you're trading in the cash market you really dont know what the real market is, you only know what the market on your screen says. The cash currency market is so huge you have NO way of knowing where the real markets are and what the size money is doing.

When they offer you "commission free" trading on tight markets how do you think they're making their money on you?

#15     Dec 14, 2007
  6. Tums

Tums

WHAT do you mean by SLOWER ?????

as in stretching a 1 min bar to 5 mins ???

as in reduced volatility ???? changing a 20pt swing to a 10pt swing ?

as in reduced volume ????

as in delay in fill ????

or do you mean by delayed data feed ?

#16     Dec 14, 2007
  7. I'm guessing less frequent updates on bid/ask, last price etc.

#17     Dec 14, 2007
  8. Bingo, slower refresh rates. Makes a big difference to short term traders

#18     Dec 14, 2007
  9. Record the DOM on SIM and then record the DOM on your live acct. Or just watch the two for a bit. XTrader's SIM is slower, refresh rates arent the same. I cant speak for all brokers and platforms but it is the case here.

#19     Dec 14, 2007
  10. Good point....but questions on stops is important and opinions from newbies or pros are good. Three YM "stop" stories I would like to share, all 1 contract.

• My first trade using IB's WebTrader I decided to set a stop 20 points below my entry, I entered it as 13000 should have been 20. Market flies past my incorrectly entered stop and of course it's not activated. Market then retraces and I manually close at a profit. LUCKY BREAK.
    • My second trade I correctly enter the stop as 20. Stop is activated for a loss and then the market retraces back without me.
    • My third YM trade I set no stop and close 40 minutes later for a profit.

Commissions with IB are less than $5.00 open and close for each contract. I round it up to $5.00 or one YM mini dow tick.

#20     Dec 14, 2007