Music industry's nightmare just shut down across 14 countries.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Sep 7, 2010.

1. The only way to know if it is stealing is that own personal feeling you get after engaging in the act. Does it make you weaker, stronger, do nothing for you?

Only you can answer that...

#51     Sep 7, 2010
  2. The only real difference is that the buyer of some music contractually agreed not to share it (read the license terms of any mp3 store or CD insert). So it's going back on his word to then share it with others. Books don't have that restriction (at least not usually - technically I could sell a book requiring you to sign a waiver to keep it secret before you get to read it).

So, there's a moral case against uploaders but not downloaders.

#52     Sep 7, 2010
  3. What about when someone downloads something that they would not have bought otherwise?

If I can listen to something for $0, I might want to download it. If I have to pay $10, in most cases I won't want to download it.

So a download in that case doesn't even cause any missed profits. What's the moral argument against it then?

#53     Sep 7, 2010
  4. joe4422

joe4422

In France if you're caught illegal downloading, you are banned from ever having internet in your name for life.

#54     Sep 7, 2010
  5. Yep, couldn't defend their own country twice in the 1900's, but, if an individual becomes empowered over the internet - the sleeping tiger awakes!

Secondly, what about a satellite dish in the attic from a non-France provider?

#55     Sep 7, 2010
  6. Bob111

Bob111

that would create nothing,but another black market for such service.
    internet provider lose the clients and revenue,government-taxes. the guy on corner,who probably selling this service for cash wins and not going to pay any taxes on his cash "business". who is the winner? what about guy,who use to trade online and download some "illegal" shit.. and now can't make a buck,because he not allowed to have internet anymore? he is unemployed now and sitting on government support.who is the winner here?
    imo-just plain dumb rule.

#56     Sep 7, 2010
  7. Never before has Apple sold songs without attaching antipiracy software--the digital rights management systems that prevent file sharing and are hated by many music fans. If successful, Apple's bold gamble to do away with digital rights management, or DRM, could act as a whirlpool that sucks the rest of the music industry into DRM-free music, say analysts. Apple on Wednesday began selling unprotected MP3s from record label EMI. Shoppers have the option to purchase either a 256kbps AAC-encoded DRM-free song for $1.29 via iTunes Plus, or the usual 128kbps AAC-encoded DRM version for 99 cents.

#57     Sep 7, 2010
  8. zdreg

zdreg

if it ok for a joker like you then everybody become a joker.

#58     Sep 7, 2010
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

The bottomline is, certain industries WILL disappear with the improvement of technology, no matter what and how much they cry about it.

Newspapers goodbye. By the time they print it, the news are already old. Photographists, hell I can take pictures too, and I don't need a papercopy, just a digital one. Music studios, artist will make their own music and distribute it over the net or in concerts. etc.etc.etc.

#59     Sep 7, 2010
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

Yep, and France just plain sucks! What a sh*thole!

#60     Sep 7, 2010