Music industry's nightmare just shut down across 14 countries.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

I NEVER said it wasn't, but just because I like to argue:

There is a huge difference between loss (your bicycle disappearing) and missed profits (people not buying your product).

But if you meant by stealing charging pretty much the same for a PDF book than as for the real paperbook, I agree, that is highway robbery, specially that I need to pay for a device (computer, ebook reader) to be able to use/read the book.

Have I mentioned that you can not sell legally an ebook?

P.S.: Have you ever used a library? Did you pay the author for reading the book?

#11     Sep 7, 2010
  2. Bob111

Bob111

read my post. the more inflexible price policy they have-the more stealing will occur.they can fight and ride off course,but it's not the solution.
    i'm no expert in this field,but i know that services that can create encrypted P2P connection already exists.

#12     Sep 7, 2010
  3. Yes, but unfortunately it's not that simple. There are also writers, producers, and publishers who don't have touring as an income stream who also need to earn a living.

#13     Sep 7, 2010
  4. Bob111

Bob111

like in Capitol v. Thomas case-it's a racket. no less.

#14     Sep 7, 2010
  5. Don't kid yourself that musicians aren't as greedy as the "industry." While everyone knows how much athletes and actors earn, musicians fly under the radar. We'd be freaked if we knew how much these guys make. Granted, VERY few bands are democracies, i.e. each member being an equal share holder. The non-song writing drummer probably makes 10-20 cents per unit but the song writing singer or guitarist can make a dollar per unit. Solo artists who write can make over 2 dollars per unit. Write a "hit single" and airplay/sales royalties will put between a half and one million in your pocket.

#15     Sep 7, 2010
  6. Call it stealing, no matter how you rationalize it, they won't be able to stop it.

#16     Sep 7, 2010
  7. kashirin

kashirin

you don't need to rationalize that to understand it's not stealing.

it's borrowing as a maximum

although if you compare that with the physical world even term borrowing is too tough

by the 99% who borrow would never buy anyway so speculating about some imaginary lost profits is stupid

#17     Sep 7, 2010
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

#18     Sep 7, 2010
  9. #19     Sep 7, 2010
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

Didn't Metallica start the lawsuits over Napster?

#20     Sep 7, 2010