Municipal bonds

Discussion in 'Economics' started by The Kin, Jul 23, 2005.

1. babe714

babe714

excellent advice

I've reached the same conclusion . The hell with trying to put together any kind of conservative retirement portfolio. The low hanging fruit has long been picked .

#11     Jul 24, 2005
  2. Great Job:

These comments give new meaning to the word "ignorant". In fact, your ignorance rises to heights heretofore unknown and previously thought to be unreachable by mortals. Collectively and as individuals, you folks should recieve an award for displaying ignorance that is so stunning that it defies logical explanation. If martians landed here on earth and walked right past us, thinking we were no more significant than trees, that ignorance would still not compare to your supremely ignorant statements about the bond market.

Here in my office, this thread will have a special place on our billboard. No matter how bad a day any of us might have, this thread will always be good for a laugh. Like so many threads started here at ET, one could make this into a sitcom and never run out of material.

"Excellent advice, you sir are a fucking genius!"
    "Well thank you, and you sir are quite good looking!"
    "Yes I am aren't I, and I understand the bond market like no one in the history of finance ever has!"
    "Hmm, now that we have determined that we are both handsome geniuses, I think we should retire to the smoking room to discuss women and their breasts!"

:D

#12     Jul 24, 2005
  3. KevinK

KevinK Guest

Muni's are way too low yield for me. I am trying to figure out how I can purchase the SunGuard High Yields at 9.25%.

#13     Jul 24, 2005
  4. if you want to buy municipal bonds i suggest you look at a few of the many closed end muni bond funds. the advantage here is that you get professional management, diversification, and low transaction costs.(you buy them just like a stock on the nyse). the thing you have to watch is the nav. try to buy them at a discount to nav.

#14     Jul 24, 2005
  5. Bob111

Bob111

100%. it is really hard, and almost always impossible to get good price or buy it at all those munies. specially good ones. funds provide diversification and decent return(but-buying funds,traded on amex is real pain too)))))))))))))))

http://www.etfconnect.com/select/fundpages/multifund.asp

#15     Jul 24, 2005
  6. US senators eye relief from Katrina bond defaults

When it comes to municipal bonds, insured is the only way to go.

#16     Sep 13, 2005
  7. Muni bond defaults should be getting some exposure soon, here's whats brewing:

Time for the Great Debate on Katrina Bond Bailout

".... the big question: Is it appropriate for the state or federal government to ensure that municipal debt in this catastrophic, once-in-a-century instance, doesn't default?"

"Which leads to another very interesting question: If there is a state or federal bailout of issuers affected by Katrina, should the bailout be extended only to those bond issues that aren't otherwise insured?"

-------

I'm on the side that says no bailout. This was an investment and all risks should be considered. If you don't like risk, go the insured route.

#17     Sep 16, 2005