Multiple Timeframes

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by slavduja, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Anyone know where I can get a permanent MT4 demo?

#11     Mar 20, 2011
  2. I would suggest looking for the lowest common denominator on the timeframe you are exploring. The floor used to hand chart and trade on a 15 min timeframe as that is when the buzzer sounded. Start there.

#12     Mar 21, 2011
  3. slavduja

slavduja

I would like to quantify it in order to have a systematic approach to picking the best time frames for trend following strategies. Problem seems to be that I will have correlated equity curves since, my stops increase with lower time-frames in order to avoid constant shake outs.By making stops wider, i am capturing same trends i would on higher time-frame hence defeating the point almost. The lower in time-frames I get the more noise and false break outs I would get.Perhaps my method isn't Robust enough, or there aren't many smooth sustainable trends on 5 in charts and intraday stuff is better suited for mean reversion.
    Hmm, perhaps its better to test this stuff on many instruments and decide based on performance.

Anyways,
    Nice chart, is that NInja Trader 7? or 6.5? I got a 6.5 collecting dust. Your chart there reminds me of Fibonacci Trader by Krause.Is the code available or something you coded yourself??

Thanks

#13     Mar 21, 2011
  4. This is correct. Start with the largest and work to the smallest. If you are trading a 1M chart you must know the significance of the 1 and 4H charts. The number of charts you view will depend on your ability to relate one chart to another and using too many to begin with will throw you into confusion.

There is no way a single chart can provide the structural information that multiple time frame charts can.

#14     Mar 21, 2011
  5. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

That would be NinjaTrader 7.

#15     Mar 21, 2011
  6. ===============
    Sla/Vancouver;
    Figure 1 year & 10 year charts [ very helpful]-but be sure its long enough to include bull AND bear market/TREND.Not usually true with average 1 year chart................................................................

1-5 minutes charts are what is called/named noise ;
    fine for entry,
    fine to study[because enough 1-5 minute charts add up to 10 year chart]............................................but still noise:cool:

#16     Mar 21, 2011
  7. Xspurt, here's some unlimited mt4 demo providers

http://www.brocompany.com/
    https://www.fxpro.com/
    http://fxtrade.oanda.com/trade-forex/metatrader/demo-account-setup

last week North American brokers changed to 'summer time' while the rest of the
    world won't be doing so until this coming weekend

Broco - Mauritius, Saint-Petersburg, Russia in addition to fx pairs, cfds, and some
    stocks they also have major indicies and futures contracts
    FxPro - Cyprus and London, UK office may have an earlier start time of 2 rather than
    3pm PST regardless of 'summer time', some futures
    Oanda - US, Canada, Asia is the only broker ? that uses its own feed - Oanda offers
    24/365 trading, doesn't have any holiday closings; while that's ok for their FXTrade
    platform, I don't want the extra weekend price data included in the charts

I have an unlimited demo from Alpari - New York, Moscow, London, UK after asking
    them to provide me with one: http://www.alpari-us.com/

most fx brokers provide a gold and silver contract, gold/usd some also gold/jpy

#17     Mar 21, 2011
  8. I will make this really easy. Beware, the scammers and ET gurus will disagree:

All charts show the same info.

Any particular chart, such as 4 minutes, or 5 minutes, or 50 ticks, or 500 constant volume, or any unit, has no quantifiable advantage over any other chart. They all show the same info, it's just how it's divided up.

There is no magic in fib numbers. Run the fuck away from anyone who tells you you need to use a certain chart value "because it's a fibonacci number."

Same thing with perfect squares, or magic numbers, or any other of that voodoo crap.

The only time chart values matter is if you need to reference a particular timeframe, such as daily charts.

Sure, you can get the daily info from a 5 min chart, but it's much easier to use a daily chart.

Or, if you want to see like the high of the first hour or something, that's often easier if you're using hour charts, because it's right there.

Other than that, it's all a personal preference of what kind of scale you want the data to appear in.

In some cases, you might get data that appears a little more "smooth" by using a certain number of tick chart or constant volume charts, but it's still the same data that you would get from any other chart.

It's really a matter of how quickly you want the bars to print, and what you're comfortable looking at.

There is no appreciable difference between, say 500 tick charts and 501 tick charts. I encourage you to laugh heartily at anyone who suggests otherwise, because I promise you they are not a profitable trader and are just trying to swindle your money (because the only people who insist on stuff like this are people who sell trading systems).

You might not believe what I've said here, so I tell you what; bookmark this post, and if you're still trading in 5 years, come back to it, and you'll see that it's 100% true (most likely after you've lost money by buying and trading unsuccessfully a few systems that claim that magic fibonacci charts hold the answers).

#18     Mar 21, 2011
  9. NT 7: multi Data Series - timeframes - setup:
    Menu/File/New/Chart: in Data Series window, dbl clk on 6E , set Type to 15 min
    set Session template to 24/7 , OK
    from chart, Menu/Data Series icon, as above with Type 5 min and Visual/Panel and
    clk on 1 , repeat for 1 min
    if using a Chart Template, apply to first chart, and adjust each new Data Series after
    being applied to the chart

slavduja, while your original question has been about Multiple Timeframes, the question
    is stretching into 'how to trade a price movement'
    RCG Trader wrote " . . . the waveform you are in."
    the basis of my understanding, analysis and trading any price movement has been
    developed over many years, after first reading in 1980
    'Elliott Wave Principle: Key to Market Behavior' by Frost and Prechter
    the problem with Elliott Wave being unreliable, is, the price movement is IRREGULAR
    and it's not therefore possible imo to predict the forthcoming wave formation

what Does work for me is the fibonacci ratio
    using the Fibonacci 'Retracement' tool for price targeting based on the fibo levels -
    when the price / wave hits a fibo level it may interact with it - end / change direction
    so just drawing a fibo on the H-L of a wave is a fug of a lot easier than trying to EW
    the wave, and much easier to trade with

the markets now run 24 hours each trading day
    there are 288 - 5 min price bars in a 1 bar 24 hour day
    if your trading session is 8 hours, there'd be 96 - 5 min bars in the 8 hours
    480 - 1 min bars in the 8 hours
    depending on your location, you may or may not be trading during the New York
    session 8am-4pm EST, only significant because the majority of the trading volume
    occurs between 7-10am EST

large price moves are Not linked to the high volume period, they can and do begin
    and/or end at any time
    also, while one may be able to time target the end / start of a wave, it may not occur
    during one's trading session
    as said, I believe individual tfs are discrete, and thereby tradeable, provided one has
    an understanding of the overal trend and where the tf being traded fits within the trend

a 5 and 1 min chart is attached to illustrate the simple, basic use of fibos, Standard
    Error Channel, and 8 hour trading periods in terms of the 2 tfs
    chart program is MetaStock which has for me the best fibo tool, only because I can
    use it for C/R fibos as well as P fibos and add / remove fibo levels (the tool re-sets
    to a default with each new use) and which I prefer to the Fibonacci Extension tool
    however, one still has to make some sense of
    'waves'

#19     Mar 22, 2011
  10. cvds16

cvds16

oanda

#20     Mar 22, 2011